Finding Stored Procedures

• Nice question, bad answer.

"SELECT * FROM information_schema.ROUTINES" also returnes functions, if I want a list of stored procedures it should only hold stored procedures.

The most important part of SQL is to bring the exact answer to the question, not the answer and then some, precision is the essens of SQL.

• Hany Helmy (1/12/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/12/2016)

I rarely use the information_schema objects. I use the sys stuff all the time. Thanks for the question.

++1 same...

ditto

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I cry foul!!! As James Lean has pointed out, the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES returns both stored procedures AND functions!!! Without the additional filtering, it would be analogous to saying that "SELECT * FROM SYS.OBJECTS" returns all stored procedures. It does return all of the sprocs.... but with the side effect of also returning other schema types. No.... Just no...

• Nice one, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Steve Hendricks (1/14/2016)

I cry foul!!! As James Lean has pointed out, the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES returns both stored procedures AND functions!!! Without the additional filtering, it would be analogous to saying that "SELECT * FROM SYS.OBJECTS" returns all stored procedures. It does return all of the sprocs.... but with the side effect of also returning other schema types. No.... Just no...

I agree here... I got it right because the other two don't exist and it says to pick 2... but I completely agree with the objection 🙂

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• mtassin (1/15/2016)

Steve Hendricks (1/14/2016)

I cry foul!!! As James Lean has pointed out, the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES returns both stored procedures AND functions!!! Without the additional filtering, it would be analogous to saying that "SELECT * FROM SYS.OBJECTS" returns all stored procedures. It does return all of the sprocs.... but with the side effect of also returning other schema types. No.... Just no...

I agree here... I got it right because the other two don't exist and it says to pick 2... but I completely agree with the objection 🙂

Completely agree

• Actually, none of the answers is correct.

As it was mentioned, INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES lists not only procedures but functions as well. Without a filtering ROUTINE_TYPE in the query - it's not a correct answer.

Apart from that - everyone has forgotten about "a special kind of stored procedure", as it's defined in msdn, - a trigger.

None of the queries includes those "stored procedures that automatically execute when an event occurs".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-nz/library/ms189799.aspx

So, the correct answer on this QOD must be "None".

• It gets worse and worse: on my case-sensitive server SELECT * FROM information_schema.ROUTINES doesn't even work!

(I only picked it because I had to pick 2 but it still felt like some trick question =)

PS: and I hardly ever use the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views but prefer their [font="Courier New"]sys.*[/font] counterparts too... it's just what you're used to I guess. I assume they both offer the exact same information but simply in a different way.

• Sergiy (1/24/2016)

Actually, none of the answers is correct.

As it was mentioned, INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES lists not only procedures but functions as well. Without a filtering ROUTINE_TYPE in the query - it's not a correct answer.

Apart from that - everyone has forgotten about "a special kind of stored procedure", as it's defined in msdn, - a trigger.

None of the queries includes those "stored procedures that automatically execute when an event occurs".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-nz/library/ms189799.aspx

So, the correct answer on this QOD must be "None".

While that documentation has that term, I will disagree that a trigger is a stored procedure.

Breaking it down to how each is created:

Create procedure blah

versus

Create trigger blah on table

Is a trigger "stored"? Yes

Is a trigger a "procedure" (as in a process)? sure

But a "stored procedure" is not what I would call it. I would say the article is being a little loose in how the term is being used. E.g. It appears to me that instead of a proper name of "stored procedure" the article is trying to convey an adjective with a verb by saying it is a stored process.

If it truly meant for it to be a type of "stored procedure" I am sure the syntax to create the trigger would be more like the stored procedure syntax...

Create procedure blah as trigger on table

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Good question, thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply