Finding out Total Disk Space in TSQL

• Nice script, but I'd argue this isn't using T-SQL. It's using a shell command, which isn't allowed in many places.

• Hi Jeff,

Try it and let me know if it works.

I have tested this script on several servers.

regards,

Harpreet

• harpreets.singh (2/15/2012)

Hi Jeff,

Try it and let me know if it works.

I have tested this script on several servers.

regards,

Harpreet

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! Not the way it works. Since you're the one that recommended it, you first tell me that you have tested it and that it works. Then I give it a try and verify.

The only reason why I'm asking this is because your original comment was that you tried to do something. You didn't say if the script you pointed to actually solved your problem and I don't actually have the time tor read every article that someone recommends on an offhanded basis. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for sharing this, Sanjay. This script solves a problem that's been bothering me for a while!

• Thank you Raymond..Your code helped me build mine.Hope this helps:

SET NOCOUNT ON

IF OBJECT_ID(N'tempdb..#drive_space') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #drive_space

CREATE TABLE #drive_space

(name varchar(5)

, available_mb int)

INSERT #drive_space(name,available_mb)

EXEC master..xp_fixeddrives

DECLARE

@drive VARCHAR(5)

, @cmd VARCHAR(1000)

, @pos SMALLINT

IF OBJECT_ID(N'tempdb..#cmd_space') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #cmd_space

CREATE TABLE #cmd_space

(total_b VARCHAR(1000)

, drive VARCHAR(5))

DECLARE drive_name CURSOR FOR

SELECT name FROM #drive_space

OPEN drive_name

FETCH NEXT FROM drive_name INTO @drive

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @cmd='master..xp_cmdshell ' + ''''+ 'fsutil volume diskfree ' + @drive + ':| find '+ '"Total # of bytes"'+''''

INSERT #cmd_space(total_b) EXEC (@cmd)

UPDATE #cmd_space SET drive=@drive WHERE drive IS NULL

FETCH NEXT FROM drive_name INTO @drive

END

CLOSE drive_name

DEALLOCATE drive_name

DELETE FROM #cmd_space WHERE total_b IS NULL

SELECT @pos=charindex(':',total_b) FROM #cmd_space

SELECT b.drive as DRIVE

, CONVERT(BIGINT,(RIGHT(b.total_b,(LEN(b.total_b)-@pos))))/1073741824 AS TOTAL_DRIVE_SPACE_GB

, a.available_mb/1024 AS AVAILABLE_SPACE_GB

FROM #drive_space a WITH (NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN #cmd_space b WITH (NOLOCK)

ON a.name=b.drive

DROP TABLE #cmd_space

DROP TABLE #drive_space

• I have the same challenge and I have to query thousands of servers many of which do not allow the use of OA_ and also do not allow the use of Powershell for security reasons. Any work-arounds for that? TIA

Kindest Regards,

JimAtWork

• JimAtWork (2/3/2014)

I have the same challenge and I have to query thousands of servers many of which do not allow the use of OA_ and also do not allow the use of Powershell for security reasons. Any work-arounds for that? TIA

Not the most elegant solution, and only works for 2008R2+. but it gets the job done.

SELECT distinct(volume_mount_point), total_bytes/1048576 as Size_in_MB, available_bytes/1048576 as Free_in_MB

FROM sys.master_files AS f CROSS APPLY sys.dm_os_volume_stats(f.database_id, f.file_id)

group by volume_mount_point, total_bytes/1048576, available_bytes/1048576 order by 1

from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh223223.aspx and some Pinal Dave advices.

read more at: http://thelonelydba.wordpress.com/2014/09/03/ms-sql-find-total-server-disk-space-in-t-sql

hope this helps!

• JimAtWork (2/3/2014)

I have the same challenge and I have to query thousands of servers many of which do not allow the use of OA_ and also do not allow the use of Powershell for security reasons. Any work-arounds for that? TIA

Sorry for the late reply but, Yes... DOS batch code with calls to WMI.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Can someone help to get the total space, free space and used space with the servername of the disk.

• Does the query posted above by mauriciorpp not help?

What is the servername of the disk?

• Hi Steve,

Its giving me the below error:

Invalid object name 'sys.dm_os_volume_stats

• Jeff Moden (9/3/2014)

JimAtWork (2/3/2014)

Sorry for the late reply but, Yes... DOS batch code with calls to WMI.

Attached is an old vb script that checks free space percentage. It uses Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk WMI class. You probably want to use the Win32_LogicalDisk class.

This was used to send back free space to a centralized monitoring system. The comments should point you in the right direction.

You will need to change the extension to .vbs

Hope this helps.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Ah, sorry, didn't realize this was a SQL 2000 instance.

You could use something like prasenjit221's code. I don't have a SQL 2000 instance handy to test, but that looks compatible. Depending on OS, I might use Powershell or VBscript instead and have those languages insert the data into a table that you can query. That's because I've found I don't usually need this in real time. I might have a job that updates this once a day or once an hour.

• JimAtWork (2/3/2014)

Not to hijack, but Powershell runs all over the place in MS products, so it can't be stopped. Is this just for user scripts?

• use psinfo tools ...

1) install it on your local box or laptop on C:\

2) now in CMD line

c:> psinfo \\serveryouneedinformation -d

😉 simple ...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897550.aspx

Thanks .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply