Finding a dataset field

• I've been given a number of reports where one dataset field has to be replaced with another one. The reports are very large and the datasets have 100s of values.

Are there methods to find the location of a textbox quickly in ReportBuilder? I found it in the RDL code fast enough, but then I would like to be able to find the textbox location in the report as well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• andre.quitta - Monday, August 20, 2018 11:01 AM

I've been given a number of reports where one dataset field has to be replaced with another one. The reports are very large and the datasets have 100s of values.

Are there methods to find the location of a textbox quickly in ReportBuilder? I found it in the RDL code fast enough, but then I would like to be able to find the textbox location in the report as well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you are talking about an existing column replacing another existing column in a given dataset, that's not easily automated.   You would have to worry about changing both the column header and the field value expression wherever that may occur within the report.   A blanket replace in the text of the RDL file would mess up the column list in the dataset, so you don't want to do that.   You're going to have to bite the bullet and manually edit these reports using Visual Studio.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply