Find First, Middle and Last Name of the Second Consumer

• I have a Name column that may or may not have Second Consumer and if it does, it may or may not have Middle name.
    I need to extract the second consumer First Name, Middle Name (if exists) and Last Name.  The first and second consumer is connected by 'AND'

CREATE TABLE #Name (Name VARCHAR(250),
                                          NameCTR VARCHAR(4))

INSERT INTO #Name (Name)
    SELECT 'ANDREW JONES', 'JONE'
    UNION
    SELECT 'BILL A AND MARY B SMITH', 'SMIT'
    UNION
    SELECT 'TOM AND MARIA BAND', 'BAND'
    UNION
    SELECT 'STEVEN AND JESSICA E CODE', 'CODE'
    UNION
    SELECT 'VINCE AND MOLLY ALICE MATT', 'MATT'

NameCTR is the first 4 characters of the Last Name.

MARY B SMITH
    MARIA BAND
    JESSICA E CODE
    MOLLY ALICE MATT

I have a hard to get the middle name.

Thanks

• Something like this?
    SELECT LEFT(N.Name, PATINDEX('% AND %', N.Name)-1) + RIGHT(N.Name, CHARINDEX(' ',REVERSE(N.Name))) AS FirstConsumer,
           RIGHT(N.Name, LEN(N.Name) - (PATINDEX('% AND %', N.Name) + 4)) AS SecondConsumer
    FROM #NAME N
    WHERE N.Name LIKE '% AND %';

P.s. "I have a hard to get the middle name." is NOT the best way to say that in English 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 20, 2017 12:58 PM

P.s. "I have a hard to get the middle name." is NOT the best way to say that in English 😉

That's a statement from someone who really loves their coding.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Sorry I mean I have a hard time to get the middle name.
    Thanks

• BTW I want the name in different columns.

First name - Mary
    Middle Name - B
    Last Name - SMITHThanks

• Maybe something like this:

SELECT LEFT( SecondName, CHARINDEX( ' ', SecondName) - 1) AS FirstName,
       SUBSTRING( SecondName, CHARINDEX( ' ', SecondName) + 1, 800) AS MiddleName,
       SUBSTRING( Name, LastNameStart, 800) AS LastName,
       n.*
    FROM #Name n
    CROSS APPLY (SELECT CHARINDEX(' AND ', Name)+5 AS SecondStart, CHARINDEX(NameCTR, Name) AS LastNameStart)x
    OUTER APPLY (SELECT SUBSTRING(Name, SecondStart, LastNameStart - SecondStart) SecondName
        WHERE SecondStart > 5
        AND LastNameStart > SecondStart)y;

I would strongly suggest that you correct this design to comply with the first normal form. That would make your queries a lot simpler and more efficient.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Loner - Friday, January 20, 2017 1:26 PM

BTW I want the name in different columns.

First name - Mary
    Middle Name - B
    Last Name - SMITHThanks

Well, that changes the game.

My solution:
    WITH SC AS(
      SELECT RIGHT(N.Name, LEN(N.Name) - (PATINDEX('% AND %', N.Name) + 4)) AS SecondConsumer
      FROM #NAME N
      WHERE N.Name LIKE '% AND %'),
    SCS AS (
      SELECT LEFT(SC.SecondConsumer, CHARINDEX(' ',SC.SecondConsumer) - 1) AS FirstName,
        RIGHT(SC.SecondConsumer, CHARINDEX(' ',REVERSE(SC.SecondConsumer))-1) AS Surname,
      FROM SC)
    SELECT FirstName,
       CASE WHEN LEN(SCS.Firstname) + LEN(SCS.Surname) + 1 < LEN(SCS.SecondConsumer)
        THEN SUBSTRING(SCS.SecondConsumer, LEN(SCS.Firstname) +2 , LEN(SCS.SecondConsumer) - (LEN(SCS.Firstname) + LEN(SCS.Surname) + 1) - 1) END AS MiddleName,
       SCS.Surname,
       SecondConsumer
    FROM SCS;

@luis, I would not be surprised if this is Vendor based.

EDIT: Slight amendment due to leading whitespace on middlename.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply