Find Current CPU Usage- Find the SQl using most of CPU

• I have a very simple question. I need to find the current SQL statement which is using most of the CPU. I have come across many scripts but none of them suits my the requirements. Here is my situation, i see CPU spike..usage is 100%. I can run sp_who2 but that would give me CPU usage accumulated so far by a process. I would appreciate if someone can just give me a script which can tell me which process is currently using most of the CPU, also please give some tips based on the script to analyse. Thanks !!

• I would highly recommnd installing the performance dashboard from Microsoft if you have not already. you could easily see all the information you need from there.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• i do have dash board reports.....i am looking at report for avg cpu...but i need some suggestion on how to analyze because its pulling the data from yesterday also...if you were given this task how would you do it? please advice

• You can also use Process Explorer to track which SPID is consuming CPU. I have explained it here[/url]

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• thanks Pradeep. I did read your article, it was helpful. Pradeep i do see different procs using most of the CPU but how would i know which sql inside the proc is causing this issue. Pradeep mentioned below are few questions please try to answer:

i) From that tool i see many threads...does it mean that each procedure if using one thread?

This is what i thought of approach, please advice on this

i) i would make a note of the proc which is taking most CPU over span of 10 mins and then would just tell the developer that this is one of the reasons for CPU spike?

i would appreciate if you can provide your email id..thank you so much..

• In sysprocesses, one SPID can have multiple OS threads (KPID). Yes, the SPID for which one of the threads is consuming more CPU is the cause for CPU spike.

You can monitor which threads are use during that period and identify the SPID causing CPU issues.

Pradeep Adiga

• thanks....does that mean that if a procedure is running would it have more than one thread?

• Pradeep

Did you successfully use PROCESS EXPLORER on SQL 2005, or just SQL 2000?

I was NOT able to successfully find the offending SPID via the TID Query I found in PROCESS EXPLORER.

select SPID from sysprocesses where kpid=11744

"11744" is the TID value in PROCESS EXPLORER.

My query came back empty. SO I wasn't able to do this query: DBCC INPUTBUFFER(SPID)

...thanks

• It worked for me on all versions of SQL server and both 32 bit and 64 bit. The TID that you were trying to use in select * from sys.processes would have terminated by the time you executed the query?

Pradeep Adiga

• Thanks for your reply, Pradeep.

According to PROCESS EXPLORER (Properties/Threads) I should be looking for TID=61852

And this process has been running for some time, so it did not disappear before I had to time to run the query.

I did "select * from sysprocesses where kpid=61852" and it came back empty.

I then did "select * from sysprocesses" to display everything. There are NO entries in sysprocesses that are 5 digits?

Please help!

• How about using profiler.

• I can check out PROFILER as well, which is new to me.

• rew-370421 (9/28/2010)

I can check out PROFILER as well, which is new to me.

I would make it a point to get very familiar with it.

• Profiler is an essential tool in the DBAs box of tricks. Be careful though. I would advise against running profiler against a production server as it can impact performance. You'd be better creating Server Side traces using profiler and then switiching them on and off on a schedule using SQL Server agent jobs.

Regards

• Thanks, Chris.

I will start reading up on PROFILER since this process does not work on SQL2005.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply