Filestream backup duration

• Hi Guys,

I seem to have an issue with filestream-enabled database backups.

SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition/Windows Server 2008.

My filestream database is 12G and the backup needs 30 minutes.

I have a 100G database with BLOBS on the same server which backs up in a similar time period.

Is this backup timing correct? Is there anything I can do to increase the backup speeds?

• Do you have 12Go for filestream and database or only for filestream ?

• Where is it localise ypur filestream ?

• Thanks for your interest.

Let me clarify

I have 2 databases - one with filestream objects needs 30 minutes to back up - this is the same amount of time as a larger database needs.

Eric - I'm not sure if I understand your localise point. The filestream files are stored on a sub-directory on my server.

• So you have a database include filestream and the size is 12 Go for *mdf and filesstream. Is it correct ?

• Yes - of the 12G a little data is held as tabular data but most of the data is mostly filestream. There are 4000 files - typical size is 25K but some are up to 75k.

• Do you hold filestream on a specific disk (means one disk for MDF, one disk for LDF, one Disk for file stream) ?

Did you check the fragmentation of filestream's volume ?

Did you disable the option the generation of 8.3 names on all NTFS volumes on the server ?

• Solution :

- Disable indexing on FILESTREAM volumes.

- Disable generation of 8.3 names on all NTFS volumes used for FILESTREAM data storage by running the below command at a command prompt.

FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLE8DOT3 1

- Disable last file access time tracking in NTFS volumes used for FILESTREAM data storage by running the below command at a command prompt.

FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLELASTACCESS 1

I had a same problem 7 hours to backup afer apply the below best practices the backup tooks 30min.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply