FILESTREAM

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item FILESTREAM

• NTFS configurabilty sounds like Windows file information. FILESTREAM makes it read-only. Is this the difference?

Aaagh

My miss for this was staring me in the face - "Configurability" - SQL Server must be "configured" to use this feature:

EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2

GO

RECONFIGURE

GO

Jamie

• From MSDN:

Before you can start to use FILESTREAM, you must enable FILESTREAM on the instance of the SQL Server Database Engine. This topic describes how to enable FILESTREAM by using SQL Server Configuration Manager.

It doesn't mention anything about enabling FILESTREAM at the Windows level??

• Configurability covers a wide range; the meaning of "configure" here would cover proper raid consideration, selection of file groups, partitioning, and any other physical considerations that would be required for SQL to handle streaming media.

Jamie

• The question seems somewhat missleading given that you can enable/configure FILESTREAM technology soley via the use of the SQL Server Configuration Manager.

FILSTREAM is then enabled/configured within the CREATE DATABASE statement.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb933995.aspx

I would be grateful if the you could qualify for me at what point during the process outlined in Books Online, is a configuration applied at the Windows level?

• I find this support for VM's explanation about a third of the way down in the MSDN article he referernced (emphasis added):

FILESTREAM is a hybrid feature that requires both the Windows administrator and the SQL Server administrator to perform actions before the feature is enabled. This is necessary to preserve the separation of duties between the two administrators, especially if the SQL Server administrator is not also the Windows administrator. Enabling FILESTREAM at the Windows level installs a file system filter driver, which is something that only a Windows administrator has privileges to do.

At the Windows level, FILESTREAM is enabled either during the installation of SQL Server 2008 or by running SQL Server Configuration Manager.

• At the Windows level, FILESTREAM is enabled either during the installation of SQL Server 2008 or by running SQL Server Configuration Manager.

[/quote]

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to present details regarding the thought process used. It's much appreicated.

In my opinion, the explanation documented is unclear, after all the entire configuration of FILESTREAM is enabled via the SQL Server Configuration Manager, which I certainly consider to be a SQL Server Level tool. The fact that behind the scenes it applies changes at the Windows Level is an internal mechanism to the process performed by the tool.

For it to be considered a Windows Level administrative operation to me, I would expect to have to go and make changes directly at this level to say the file system for example or the operating system settings.

AS with so many things I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

• Once again a True/False question proves that the right answer is not true? You don’t have to do a thing to the Windows NTFS file system in order to use FILESTREAM. You only need to make the configuration chances if you want it to perform.

Quote directly from the reference document.

Even the most carefully designed I/O subsystem running on high-performance hardware may not work as desired if the file system (in this case NTFS) is not configured correctly. This section describes some of the configuration options that can affect a workload involving FILESTREAM data.

I tested FILESTREAM and did nothing to the NTFS file system.

• Enabling FILESTREAM at the Windows level installs a file system filter driver, which is something that only a Windows administrator has privileges to do.

I tested FILESTREAM and did nothing to the NTFS file system.

Perhaps not doing anything at the Windows level may be advisable.

I did as suggested on one of the servers and while it did not seem to have much effect, the server had to be rebooted before some of the 32 bit applications running there were again functional. One or these, for example, is MagicDisc (32 bit) which has been used to load an iso or two during an installation emergeny (when it failed I tried ISOBuster and winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe - both of these failed as well). Until the server rebooted, it would not load. The only other issue I have seen that is similar is the 32 bit Excel drivers that no longer worked when SQL 2005 64 bit was loaded. It doesn't seem serious (IMHO), but can present problems along the line.

Jamie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply