Filegroups

• Hi All,

Question for you.

I'm running SQL 7.0 on a 800 mhz machine, NT 4.0 sp 5, db's and logs sit on a raid 5 array. The db is about 7 gigs and is used for an app as well as reporting on the db. I have a couple large tables (600 megs) and roughly 4-8 concurrent users at any given time. (sometimes more) Many of the reports are resource intensive. Would I see much benefit by moving a couple of the big tables to separate filegroups and maybe the indexes to their own file group? Any idea how much of a performance improvement (if any) I could see?

Chris.

Chris.

• What kind resources you are thinking there are the bottle neck to you? Create separate file group on same RAID 5 may not help you in your situation.

I would suggest you to use performance monitor to look into any resources issues such as CPUs, memory, Disks and SQL Server to get ideas where sould be futher investigated.

For better performance, Database files and log file should not be in same RAID 5. As you said, your reports are resources intensive and I guess they might use TEMPDB heavily, so TEMPDB should be separtated from your darabase files too.

Bad queries also comsumes resources and you can use Profiler to trace them for any issues.

• I would follow Allen_Cui's advise and look at PerfMon first to determine if you have an I/O bottleneck or contention within the database for I/O resources...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply