Filegroup ALERTS and TRANACTION LOG FULL ALERTS

• Hi Members,

I working as a sqldba.now i am facing one issue.

we are getting filegroup full alerts and transaction log full alerts daily.but we checked the spaces of those files.every thing is fine we have enough space.still we are getting same alers.can anyone tell me the reason.

• First, how often do you backup your transaction log?

Second, do you have a max size set for the transaction log?

Review the article in my signature about managing transaction logs - see if that helps.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• can u please paste the alert information?

• chanti2985 (4/24/2010)

we are getting same alers.can anyone tell me the reason.

How do you get those alerts , sql server jobs ,or any sql tool or any third party software ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• tlogbackup-everyday except sunday

full backup-sunday

• through jobs.job have alerts

• through jobs ....

• chanti2985 (4/28/2010)

tlogbackup-everyday except sunday

full backup-sunday

Okay, then you really need to review the article on managing transaction logs that I link to in my signature. Either you are not actually backing up your transaction log - and instead running daily differentials, or the frequency of backing up your transaction log is not enough.

I would recommend daily full backups and hourly transaction log backups - at a minimum. Increase the frequency of the transaction log backups if needed to meet the business requirements for recovering the system.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• chanti2985 (4/28/2010)

full backup-sunday

Not an ideal Backup strategy, Include differentail back up also and change the Tlog backup frequency to One hour. Additionally read the articles related to Backup managenent.

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Bhuvnesh (4/28/2010)

chanti2985 (4/28/2010)

full backup-sunday

Not an ideal Backup strategy, Include differentail back up also and change the Tlog backup frequency to One hour. Additionally read the articles related to Backup managenent.

I agree with Bhuvnesh's first statement, not with his second.

Differential backup is only needed if the database is big. But if the DB is small, then he should be doing a FULL backup every day.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply