File System Task Problems

• Can anybody recommend a decent article about Dynamic File System tasks in SSIS. I've followed the instructions to the letter on all those I've found and every time I've the debug button the package has turned red and died. It's not even returning any error messages so I've no idea what's causing it to fail. I've always got the impression from the articles that there's been a step missing though.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (3/10/2015)

Can anybody recommend a decent article about Dynamic File System tasks in SSIS. I've followed the instructions to the letter on all those I've found and every time I've the debug button the package has turned red and died. It's not even returning any error messages so I've no idea what's causing it to fail. I've always got the impression from the articles that there's been a step missing though.

to debug, you need to change the project to 32 bit, so that you are able to step through.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell, it turns out it wouldn't have mattered if I'd set it to 64bit, 32bit,16bit,8bit or any other conceivable number of bits, I still wouldn't have been able to see the error messages because I was looking in the wrong place :blush:

After I'd got to the bottom of that I established that I'd not set my variable properly and two minutes later I was cooking on gas.

Which leads to my next question. How does the Retrieve file name option in the Foreach Loop actually work? It seems to me that it tells the loop what data to return for example either the whole file path, foo.txt or just foo. I'm guessing that this isn't correct though because when I set my loop to retrieve anything other than a Fully Qualified file name it falls over with:

[File System Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message: "Could not find file 'my_file'.".

Do I need to change the For Each File enumerator from *.*?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply