File server as a part of SQL cluster resource

• I want to know what is the purpose of File server as a part of SQL cluster resource .
    I have quorum disk , is File server still required ? Is it required for voting purposes ? I hope its not a split brain scenario
    Our setup is  a 2 node cluster and node weight looks 1 for both nodes which seems to be fine to me .

• muzikfreakster - Monday, May 8, 2017 12:36 AM

I want to know what is the purpose of File server as a part of SQL cluster resource .
    I have quorum disk , is File server still required ? Is it required for voting purposes ? I hope its not a split brain scenario
    Our setup is  a 2 node cluster and node weight looks 1 for both nodes which seems to be fine to me .

in a 2 node cluster which spans multiple sites you should use a fileshare witness, this share will sit on a machine not specifically a fileserver, but a machine thats accessible from both nodes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• that doesn't answer my question . I want to know the use of file server when I have a quorum already ?

also when I run

SELECT member_name, member_state_desc, number_of_quorum_votes

FROM sys.dm_hadr_cluster_members;

It doesn't return any value

• muzikfreakster - Monday, May 8, 2017 9:15 PM

that doesn't answer my question . I want to know the use of file server when I have a quorum already ?

also when I run

SELECT member_name, member_state_desc, number_of_quorum_votes

FROM sys.dm_hadr_cluster_members;

It doesn't return any value

you gain quorum by configuring an odd number of votes in the cluster. If you do this then add a fileshare witness its a futile exercise as the cluster service will then go remove a vote from somewhere else

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply