Faultfinding possible I/O issues

• michael vessey (4/25/2012)

FCB stands for File Control Block, the physical file structure used

by SQL to write in and read data from the storage.

Almost.

FCB means "File Control Bank"

It's an in-memory structure that keeps track of various pieces of file information for the files in the database.

i've had these before when i defragged a database and the log shipping made the same changes on the target.

Defragged as-in a disk defrag tool? Most 'online' disk defrag tools don't support SQL Server and will cause all sorts of damage if they're run on an open, in-use SQL database.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • index defrag

MVDBA

• How can you do an index defrag of a log shipping secondary? It's read-only at best. Or do you mean index rebuild on the primary and log shipping copied that over? If the latter caused that error on the secondary, there's something wrong with that DB or server.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (4/25/2012)

How can you do an index defrag of a log shipping secondary? It's read-only at best. Or do you mean index rebuild on the primary and log shipping copied that over? If the latter caused that error on the secondary, there's something wrong with that DB or server.

are you having a senior moment ? 😛

i defragged the indexes on the primary (or shipper) and when the log is copied across the same changes are applied to the secondary (or shipee)

MVDBA

• michael vessey (4/25/2012)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815183

the error Could not open FCB for invalid file ID %d in database '%.*ls'. is know to cause data corruption, thread errors and runtime errors

are there different service pack versions on the shipper and shipee?

On one of the three server pairs in question, yes the hotfixes don't match (2282+2187, and I am awaiting clearance to patch)...and of the four times we have had this problem, the mismatched shippee was the host TWICE.

• ps - it was fixed in a service pack version - but since it's sql2000 which i haven't used for 6 years i have no idea which one

MVDBA

• On one of the three server pairs in question, yes the hotfixes don't match (2282+2187, and I am awaiting clearance to patch)...and of the four times we have had this problem, the mismatched shippee was the host TWICE.

apparently it was fixed in sp4 which is 2039 - on the link i sent there is also a workaround - on the secondary (shepee) set maxdop to 1 in the server settings and see if it fixes the problem.....

yes i know it's a fudge, but it's the microsoft issue fudge - worth a try before you go ripping disks out

MVDBA

• GilaMonster (4/25/2012)

TheSQLGuru (4/25/2012)

SQLIOSIM is the tool to use to validate that an IO subsystem will properly handle SQL Server IO-style workloads.

But SQL needs to be stopped when running that. The aim is to validate the IO subsystem, nor slaughter it.

I thought he/she said they wanted to know if the IO subsystem had problems with SQL Server data that was causing problems. SQLIOSIM is a/the way to validate that.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (4/25/2012)

GilaMonster (4/25/2012)

TheSQLGuru (4/25/2012)

SQLIOSIM is the tool to use to validate that an IO subsystem will properly handle SQL Server IO-style workloads.

But SQL needs to be stopped when running that. The aim is to validate the IO subsystem, nor slaughter it.

I thought he/she said they wanted to know if the IO subsystem had problems with SQL Server data that was causing problems. SQLIOSIM is a/the way to validate that.

Sure, but they can't stop SQL Server without justification (proof of IO problems). Vicious circle.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply