Fascination with numbers

• To start off, let me say that my total score for SSC is 1234. That really caught my eye the other day. It makes me feel good to see 1234. I don't know why but I have held off doing anything on SSC to preserve the 1234. I don't feel it makes me lucky or anything like that. I don't believe in numerology but I have an interest (some would say obsession) with numbers.

I have a fascination with numbers. I do math problems in my head. I work out conversions between number systems on paper; decimal to binary (of course), binary to hex, decimal to octal... pretty much any base to an other base. When I shop for groceries, I keep a running total in my head and try to end up with a "satisfying" number such as $120 (I am in the U.S.) or $100 would be even better. That means my running total has to include sales taxes and the knowledge of what is taxable and what is not.

I have seen Rain Man. I don't see myself as that but...

Do you have a fascination with numbers?

I have dilemma now. If I post this, I will no longer have a total score of 1234.

• I'm a bit like that. I live in the UK where tomorrow's date may be written 11311. Not only is that palindromic, it's also a prime.

• An interesting thing about dates. I insist on leading zeroes in dates such as 11/03/11. I will really enjoy 11/11/11. Now that's HOT! 😀 In the U.S. it would be 03/11/11 or 03/11/2011. I dislike Microsoft's way of removing the leading zeroes. A date like 3/3/11 seems off balance. 03/03/11 is more in tune with whatever pleasure I receive from numbers.

• I was in awe when I found out, on New Year's day, that 2011 is the sum of 11 consecutive primes: 2011 = 157 + 163 + 167 + 173 + 179 + 181 + 191 + 193 + 197 + 199 + 211

I love stuff like this!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• 11/11/11 is also my birthday 😉 But I'll only be 11 if you work in base 50 🙁

That consecutive primes thing really IS interesting!

• I like numbers, perhaps not fascinated. days like 10/10/10 make me smile, but I don't necessarily look forward to them.

I do enjoy helping my kid to algebra, breaking down polynomials, simplifying, etc.

• mazzz (3/10/2011)

I was in awe when I found out, on New Year's day, that 2011 is the sum of 11 consecutive primes: 2011 = 157 + 163 + 167 + 173 + 179 + 181 + 191 + 193 + 197 + 199 + 211

I love stuff like this!

It took a real number nerd to figure this one out. But I definitely appreciate it.

• Richard Warr (3/10/2011)

11/11/11 is also my birthday 😉 But I'll only be 11 if you work in base 50 🙁

That consecutive primes thing really IS interesting!

Now I know how old you are in base 10 but I'm not telling. 😉

• I just noticed that my opening post has the statistic for points @ 1,237 and visits @ 1,663. They total to 2,900, a nice round-ish sort of number. But, now, I have to time my posts and visits so they total 3,000. 😛

• OCTom (3/10/2011)

I just noticed that my opening post has the statistic for points @ 1,237 and visits @ 1,663. They total to 2,900, a nice round-ish sort of number. But, now, I have to time my posts and visits so they total 3,000. 😛

Maybe you need to change your forum handle to OCDTom 😉

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• mazzz (3/10/2011)

OCTom (3/10/2011)

I just noticed that my opening post has the statistic for points @ 1,237 and visits @ 1,663. They total to 2,900, a nice round-ish sort of number. But, now, I have to time my posts and visits so they total 3,000. 😛

Maybe you need to change your forum handle to OCDTom 😉

OCD? Only where numbers are concerned. Although, I do like the toilet tissue roll to come over the top and not under. And, the crease in the pillow case has to be just right. And, the cat's dishes have to be set up with water left, food right. OCD? 😀

• Today (before this post) my 30 day score was 40 and my total score was 1300. I like the zeroes.

• I remember numbers more easily than words; in fact, numbers such as PINs and sales totals almost seem like words to me.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• All the smartphone stuff and email has my mind decaying. I don't remember a lot of numbers anymore, but a few seem to standout for strange reasons. I rarely use my driver's license number, but for some reason it sticks in my head, though I can't remember license plates.

• I remember numbers better than events or even names. I still know my phone number from when I was a child. I remember tail numbers of airplanes I've flown. I carried a mail route for several years over a decade ago and yet even now when I hear certain names the address number will pop into my mind. Yet, I can't remember what I had for dinner two days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply