Falling Behind and Digital Bankruptcy

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Falling Behind and Digital Bankruptcy

• I tend to go through spats with my personal GMail where I'll have a couple hundred unread emails. I'll browse the subject lines, find nothing interesting, select all, mark as read and archive. Anything that stays unread gets my attention later.

For work emails, it's similar, but I'll flag items with a reminder/due date for follow-up so it's not totally off my radar.

Twitter, I can never keep up with 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  philcart.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Honestly, I don't even open 90% of the mail that lands in my personal Hotmail account, and the same goes for work email. I can judge the relevance of an email based on the sender's name and subject line, and often times everything I need to know is in the subject line. For example, if I get a payment due reminder from the utility company or a transfer notification from the bank, I don't need to read the email unless it's something I wasn't expecting. At work, if there is a job failure, the server and job name are in the subject line. I can skim through hundreds of emails and identify what's out of the ordinary and worth drilling in to. Granted, this may not work for everyone; it's just a streamlined approach that I've cultivated and refined over time to meet my personal requirements.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• While this approach to electronic communications may be excusable for most folks (I personally try to keep up with at least those I regularly communicate with), management has a greater responsibility, especially regarding their direct reports.  I should rarely need to follow up with my boss after I’ve sent a trouble ticket or email on an important issue his way. One of management's most important roles is communication and triage, and not keeping up puts a double burden on the front line to monitor both electronic communications coming in and going out. And IT staff are usually some of the least able to handle the added distraction of having to follow up time and again because peter-principled bosses can’t keep up.

• It is interesting how we deal with things. I have 5 email accounts that I need to watch (3 work, 2 personal), and I find that in the Hotmail one, I never really read anything. In my personal one, most, probably more than half, just get deleted. Some SPAM, but lots of marketing that I scan headlines and then just delete.

For Twitter and slack, I do just give up and mark things as read after being away. I try to pay more attention to emails, but sometimes they're just too many, and when I'm the cc, 1/10, some just aren't important.

• I heavily use the "Rules and Alerts" in Outlook to help manage my work e-mails to automatically put incoming messages into different folders, which I read at different times.  In my main personal Gmail account I have a similar setup, and then I have one old garbage personal Yahoo account that I give out when I suspect someone is collecting my e-mail to spam me or sell it to spammers.  😀

• For my personal email, I rely solely on MS Outlook app on my iPhone. I like the new feature where it consolidates all email accounts into a single view with a 'Focused' and 'Other' tab. The default Focussed tab contains email coming from accounts in my contacts list and other things like alerts from from my bank. It really does a good job of knowing what's important by default, and the subject line will show up as an iPhone notification, so I don't even have to open the Outlook app to see what's coming in. Once per day I'll check what's in the Other tab. I can monitor Slack from my iPhone, but I would never link my work email to my iPhone app - too much noise.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I haven't loved the focused box because it hides some things I'm looking for. I didn't realize this was contacts based, which makes some sense, but doesn't quite seem right to me.

I turn off most notifications, so I only check email if I have time.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply