Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) how to unconfigure from cluster to standalone

• Hi All,

We have 2 x physical servers with windows server installed connected to a SAN via iSCSI.

We then have Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) setup across the 2 physical servers for 2 x SQL Instances with Failover cluster manager as detailed on this link: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/7888/install-sql-server-2022-on-windows-server-2022-failover-cluster-wsfc/

The server hardware is old and the idea is to P2V this SQL Solution into a VMware Cluster as a VM whereby the plan would be

Step 1: consolidate 2 x SQL Clustered instances from 2 physical servers into 1 physical servers and then be standalone SQL instances

Step 2: Then P2v that 1 x physical server into VMware as a VM.

Question is, is Step 1 above possible? and how would we do this?

Thanks,

• Why P2V ?

Why not just install a VM, add a SQLinstance ( or 2 if you want ) and move the databases ?

If you can , even upgrade the SQL Server version ( not beyond SQL 2017 - potential performance problems upward )

ps: I currenlty have a Windows 2022 vm running a SQL2008R2 instance without a problem

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• MMSQL99 wrote:

Hi All,

We have 2 x physical servers with windows server installed connected to a SAN via iSCSI.

We then have Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) setup across the 2 physical servers for 2 x SQL Instances with Failover cluster manager as detailed on this link: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/7888/install-sql-server-2022-on-windows-server-2022-failover-cluster-wsfc/

The server hardware is old and the idea is to P2V this SQL Solution into a VMware Cluster as a VM whereby the plan would be

Step 1: consolidate 2 x SQL Clustered instances from 2 physical servers into 1 physical servers and then be standalone SQL instances

Step 2: Then P2v that 1 x physical server into VMware as a VM.

Question is, is Step 1 above possible? and how would we do this?

Thanks,

you cannot convert an FCI into a standalone instance, deploy a new standalone instance and migrate the objects (dbs, logins, jobs, etc) to this new instance.

you could also replicate the dbs via an AG between the fci and the new instance but this is overkill tbh

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I do not know if you need this:   You should un-install SQL server on the node before removing the node form the cluster.

Johan gave you a good answer.

DBASupport

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply