Failover Cluster too restricted

• Hello Everybody

I have a problem with Failover Cluster 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2... I have 2 servers (PEGHSIS222 and PEGHSIS223) with 1 shared storage and and ip exit (PEGHSIS228) the storage have 3 parts, F:SQL, G:DATALOG and H:FREE

the SQL Server 2k8 R2 use 2 parts, F: and G:, there i put all files, when i need to make backups i put there (F: or G: only)... meanwhile, when i need to put other files i only have H: (in Win Explorer F: and G: are gone)...

the problem is than i cant use a backup from H:... or i can create backups, put in G:... but cannot put in H:, or in another pc (i like to use net use \\10.253.19.209\backup)....

what can i do? tape backup is the only way?? i really need to put the backups in other server...

please some Help! 🙁

• Has somebody altered the permissions for those resources?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• In your wsfc, if you look in the failover cluster manager you should have a resource group for your installation of SQL server. This will have been created when you did your installation of SQL server.

At that time you should have specified the drives where you want to have your data files etc reside.

If all 3 drives are not resources of the 1 SQL server resource group then they do not stay together when a failover occurs. If you add the backup disk to the resource group you should be able to backup to that disk.

MCT
    MCITP Database Admin 2008
    MCITP Database Admin 2008
    MCITP Database Dev 2008
    www.jnrit.com.au/Blog.aspx

• From what you are explaining I don't think your problem is a cluster restriction as much as not understanding how the cluster works..

You say the F and G drives are not present, what that tells me is that SQL is running on the OTHER node, those drives are available to whatever node is actually running SQL. This also tells me that H is not part of the resource group that SQL is in. SQL will in general not be allowed to do much with drives that are not in its resource group. However, references to UNC paths like \\servername\sharename should be allowed. I don't do local backups for most SQL servers, I like to backup to a fairly common network location, this goes for clustered SQL as well.

Basically, if you need to have SQL be able to reference a drive it should be in the same resource group AS sql.

Hope this helped.

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply