Failing to restore a compressed backup to another server

• I have a compressed backup from 1 SQL 2008 Standard edition. Trying to restore it to a 2008 Developer edition that is on a slightly early cumulative update. It fails with the "Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3241 - The media family on device 'C:\xxxxxx' is incorrectly formed'

Why would this be an issue with a perfectly non corrupt backup file, and both machines running 2008?

• That message usually indicates that the backup is corrupt. Try restoring it on the server that you took the backup on, try restore verifyonly.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Totally valid backup file.

• So you can restore it on the server you took it on?

Where did you try the restore verifyonly? On the source server or where you're trying to restore it?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Silly question, has the file finished copying when you try the restore?

What are the build numbers of the instances?

• Verify fails on the target, works on the source.

Restore is fine on the source.

File has finished copying.

Versions of servers are -

Source 2008 Std 64 bit 10.0.4311.0

Target 2008 Dev 64 bit 10.0.4272.0

• Sounds funny, but try copying the backup file back to the source and restoring it. Won't be the first time I've seen a backup file damaged during a copy.

Gail Shaw

• That's a great shout! Transferring now

• Copied it back, and it verifies ok. Bit annoying.

Gonna take a backup of a smaller db and check that.

• Hang on....

SQL 2008 Standard Edition cannot take a compressed backup. In SQL 2008, only enterprise edition can take compressed backups, all editions can restore them. It's R2 that gave backup compression to standard edition....

So, how was a compressed backup taken on an edition that does not support compression?

Gail Shaw

• Can I just clarify something as the details of this sound a bit odd:

I have a compressed backup from 1 SQL 2008 Standard edition. Trying to restore it to a 2008 Developer edition that is on a slightly early cumulative update.

Versions of servers are -

Source 2008 Std 64 bit 10.0.4311.0

Target 2008 Dev 64 bit 10.0.4272.0

AFAIK, you can't take a compressed backup on SQL 2008 Standard edition, so are you sure you're getting your version numbers right?

You can take compressed backup on 2008 R2 standard edition and I expect you'd get this kind of message restoring back from 2008 R2 to 2008

EDIT - I forgot to refresh the page after lunch and see that Gail has said the same...

• Sorry that was my mistake earlier it is uncompressed

• I know this seem like a silly question but do you have any other compression software running on either one of these servers i.e.(Litespeed or Hyperbac?)

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• The backup from the source database - straightforward SQL native backup: BACKUP DATABASE ... with no 3rd party backup/compression tools of any form?

Gail Shaw

• YES YES YES! It is hosted at our third party vendors and I have just spotted Hyperbac on the server (thats what caught me out as I thought the backup seemed quite small).

That will be the answer no doubt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply