Failed Updates to Linked Tables

• I know Access isn't the best front end program for SQL Server but it's what I had to use. Anyways, I'm new to the SQL Server world and am both developer and administrator of a database. I have linked my tables into an Access front end, but every once in awhile I get an error stating it can't update a field in the linked table. This isn't an everyday occurence. Is there something in my SQL tables that could be causing this?

• You might want to check your permissions on the tables, although if the problem is not consistent, then it might be locking, a network issue, or something out of your control. Also, you can run into problems sometimes if you don't have a primary key on your table, or have not identified it as such when you link the tables in Access. Are you using a DSN to like the tables?

Also, Access sometimes IS the best front end program for SQL server, depending on what you need to do. It can help you do a number of things quicker and easier than the SQL client tools, especially if you are just getting started with SQL Server. Over time, you can biuld a SQL Server library of scripts and templates to help you in your troubleshooting and administrative tasks.

• If you have Access 2000, you may want to take a look at it's "project" mode which gives you live access to tables, views, etc. The tradeoff is you lose the VBA modules that you have in standard Access that are pretty useful.

I agree with Sean - for some things Access makes a very good interface to SQL. Neither EM or ISQLW are designed for the kind of things you can do pretty easily in Access. On the other hand, don't make the mistake of letting Access become the only tool you know!

Andy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply