Failed 70-432 Study Ideas?

• I recently took the 70-432 exam and did not pass. The first time I studied the MS Training Kit book and used the practice exams that came with that and a Transcender exam. After failing I looked at what I missed and started studying BOL. Then I took the test again. That time I had to have missed it by one question. I am kind of stuck as to what / how to study now. I feel like I have a good grasp on the subject matter but cannot transform that into information needed to pass the exam. Any ideas would be appreciated as I feel stuck.

Thanks

• I think you should stop studying, and start practicing. You may want to set up a lab with virtual machines, so you don't have to worry about messing up your installation. I talk about that here, with links to Kendra Little's webcast on certification.

If it'll help, here's how I'm preparing for 70-432. Feel free to use the syllabus, if you find it useful.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Thanks for the suggestion. I came across the syllabus the other day and have since watched the webcast. If anyone has any other suggestions I am open to anything.

Thanks

• I'm studying for the same exam right now. I'm curious, what study strategies do & don't work for you? Here's some of my thoughts:

Actual Experience:

Everyone says this is the best. This is probably true, but not all jobs provide broad enough experience. I'm embarrassed to say that I've worked with versions of SQL server going back to 6.5, but most of that was with specific software applications that dictated how SQL should be configured and maintained for their applications. Also, the database sizes were rarely larger than 2-4GB or so. So while I did become good at installing SQL, managing backups and troubleshooting queries generating by the applications I was supporting, many of challanges of managing large databases were never encountered, and I lack expereince with features not used the applications.

Classroom:

This is a good way to become aquainted with features you may not be familair with, but for me I find I need use these skills on my own to really maintain them.

Home Lab:

Virtual Machines and evaluation editions of OS and SQL Server are really a great thing. The biggest challenge is scheduling the time and eliminating distrations. Sometimes I get sidetracked by questions I have and run experiments to test my ideas, though they may be outside the lesson I'm studying. It may slow my progress through the Training Kit, but I often learn things doing this and I feel it counts as "experience" as described above.

What has worked & not worked for others?

Dan

• I had setup a virtual lab when I was going through the MS press book but have not really touched that since then. I recently recreated a new virtual server at work that I can re-install SQL Server and test with and will be starting practicing with that soon. I am not sure beyond the labs in the book what kind of situations to create to test and figure out how to solve.

Actual Experience:

This one is kind of difficult for me. We are a small company and I am a multi-purpose employee (in-house developer, everything related to our ERP system, and by default DBA). Like you, our ERP system dictates how things should be configured etc. Also our systems are running on 2005, but I will start testing to find out if they can run on 2008 (not sure if compatible with old ERP). I was studying for 2005 but it expired before I completed studying so I started over. With the lack of situations that arise, other responsibilities and SQL 2005 I also lack those experiences.

Those tasks that you take on on a normal basis, such as backups and restores, are things I have in the bag, but things such as security that do not change and were setup when I got here are more difficult.

Classroom:

I do not have time, nor the money to take on this. I learn much better that way, but working full-time and being a mom when not working I run short on time.

Dan - what kinds of strategies are you using as you study?

Thanks

• I too agree that nothing can substitute hands on experience on SQL Server. Please mind it, it need not be office / work experience. As stated above you can setup a lab of your own for R&D and testing.

One more thing I would like to add here. Certification requires systematic and regular studies. Please go through the eLearning website and list out the exam topics and focus each of them. You won’t be able to pass the exam if you master only one topic. You must understand each topic at least at beginner’s level to get a reasonable rating.

• tschallenberger (5/4/2012)

I am not sure beyond the labs in the book what kind of situations to create to test and figure out how to solve.

I would take the Skills Measured list and work off that. Then I would find a project that interests me, and implement it.

For example, a classroom wouldl need to track grades and attendance. You might want to store essays and compositions, so you'd want to set up Full Text Indexing. Maybe you want to store images of art projects in the database as Filestream data. You could calculate grades and produce report cards and progress reports, schedule Parent-Teacher conferences, etc.

Then of course, you'd have to do all the maintenance: backup, availability, patching, etc.

The important thing is: make it meaningful to you; otherwise, it'll be boring and your motivation might wane.

Just my opinion, feel free to ignore it.

Hope this helps.

Peter MaloofServing Data

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply