Extract Password

• I have inherited the SQL server. The password for many logins are not passed on to me. Is there a way I could look into the system table to retrieve the passwords?

Some of the client-server based applications could have hardcoded the password and if I change it on the SQL server end, it will break the program. Is there any workaround?

Please copy me gbarr@czn.com

Regards-Grace

• Not that I know of. These are encrypted with the understanding that they will never be decrypted.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Couple other ideas. One is to just change them one at a time, see what breaks. Some might be outdated/not used anyway. You could try using Netmon to capture the traffic, odds are the login/password is not encrypted. Another way is to open the exe in Notepad, search for the login - very often you can find the password in clear text near by (one reason to employ some kind of encoding or encyrption if you stored login/pwd in the compiled app).

You might also find that your developers have it all in a version control system where you can just look through the code to find it.

Andy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply