Extract date from String

• Folks:

I have to extract the date from this string which is between files_ and .xls

I have this SELECT query but it also returns iles_  don't know where I am wrong here.

DECLARE @Text nvarchar(250) = '\\ABC.dns.com\file_path1\filepath2\inc_files_20200122.xls'

SELECT SUBSTRING(STUFF(@Text, 1, CHARINDEX('files_',@Text), ''), 0, CHARINDEX('.xls', STUFF(@Text, 1, CHARINDEX('files_',@Text), '')))

Output should be:  20200122

Thanks!

• select Replace(Reverse(stuff(reverse(@Text),CHARINDEX(reverse('files_'),reverse(@Text)),len(@Text),'')),'.xls','')

• You marked your own answer as the answer?  Nicely done!

declare
    @text nvarchar(250)='\\abc.dns.com\file_path1\filepath2\inc_files_20200122.xls';
    declare
    @rev_first_slash int=charindex(reverse('files_'), reverse(@text))-2;
    declare
    @start int=(len(@text)-@rev_first_slash),
    @end int=(@rev_first_slash-len('.xls')+1);

select substring(@text, @start, @end);

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Steve Collins. Reason: now looks for reverse('_files')

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• The problem is that charindex will return the position of the beginning of the token (files_), rather than the position of the end of the token.  If you add 6 (the length of the token "files_"), then you get what you need.

DECLARE @Text nvarchar(250) = '\\ABC.dns.com\file_path1\filepath2\inc_files_20200122.xls'

SELECT SUBSTRING(STUFF(@Text, 1, CHARINDEX('files_',@Text) + 6, ''), 0, CHARINDEX('.xls', STUFF(@Text, 1, CHARINDEX('files_',@Text) + 6, '')))

• yeah, I don't think you need all that processing either, if your file format will always be <something>_files_YYYYMMDD.xls

SELECT SUBSTRING(@Text, PATINDEX('%.xls%',@Text) - 8,8)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• select substring(@text, len(@text)-11, 8);

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

•  SELECT LEFT(RIGHT(@Text,12),8);

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

SELECT LEFT(RIGHT(@Text,12),8);

Simple and to the point.  I would put a comment with it to explain what is being so that someone with less SQL knowledge would understand what was being done.  Another way of saying this is to be able to recreate the code from the comment if the code itself were deleted.  That doesn't mean put the the code in a comment.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

SELECT LEFT(RIGHT(@Text,12),8);

Simple and to the point.  I would put a comment with it to explain what is being so that someone with less SQL knowledge would understand what was being done.  Another way of saying this is to be able to recreate the code from the comment if the code itself were deleted.  That doesn't mean put the the code in a comment.

Thanks, Lynn.  @scdecade had the right idea, as well.  Heh... You know me well... I normally comment everything.  Since the OP never told us why he needs to get the date, I got lazy and responded in kind.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• DECLARE @Text nvarchar(250) = '\\ABC.dns.com\file_path1\filepath2\inc_files_20200122.xls'

SELECT SUBSTRING(REVERSE(@Text),CHARINDEX('.',REVERSE(@Text))+1,CHARINDEX('_',REVERSE(@Text))-CHARINDEX('.',REVERSE(@Text))-1)

• parmsivan.kannan wrote:

SELECT SUBSTRING(REVERSE(@Text),CHARINDEX('.',REVERSE(@Text))+1,CHARINDEX('_',REVERSE(@Text))-CHARINDEX('.',REVERSE(@Text))-1)

This is much simpler and does not require the use of REVERSE: SELECT LEFT(RIGHT(@Text,12),8);

• Awesome!!!

Very nice to understand.

But,I do not want to to hard code value 12 and 8. This is what i used that Reverse function.

(Sometime there is a chance in the filename contains .XLSX)

Thank You

• parmsivan.kannan wrote:

Awesome!!!

Very nice to understand.

But,I do not want to to hard code value 12 and 8. This is what i used that Reverse function.

(Sometime there is a chance in the filename contains .XLSX)

Thank You

It will be much more efficient to "conditionally hardcode" based on the extension rather than to use several reverse/charindex combinations.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Yeah... Agree...

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply