Exporting Masked Data

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Exporting Masked Data

• Who were the 20 people who answered "The unmasked data from the table"???

I know I am giving a hint at the answer by ruling out one of the possible answers but who are the people who thought you could get around data masking with SQLCMD???

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I've seen plenty of people think this. It's why I wrote an article demonstrating this isn't the case.

• That is crazy... How would SQL Server differentiate between SQLCMD and just some arbitrary application (.NET for example)?  Set your connection string right and it would appear identical to SQL Server...  Same thing could apply to SSRS and then it would be trivial to build a report that would bypass your data masking...

A little bit of critical thinking and this question SHOULD have 0 wrong answers...

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply