Export and import.

• Sometimes data has to be moved to other systems databases.

This can be reference data which is updated periodically, or real data which is shared between systems.

In general there are several related tables to be exported and imported into another system.

Offcourse the target system has different identities from the source system.

Sometimes tables are referenced which are not part of the set to be imported, but still the references have to be resolved.

I am looking for a generic solution for this problem.

Do any of you have experience with this ?

Any available fairly ready solutions on this site or other sites ?

Any available ready solutions on the marked ?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Ben

• For reference data, some people are trying to move towards something like MDS, which gives you a central place to store and get data from that need standardization.

For non reference or lookup data, there are really two main ways.

- scheduled ETL movement using something like SSIS, custom scripts, or some other tool

- more real time movement with replication.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/9/2016)

For reference data, some people are trying to move towards something like MDS, which gives you a central place to store and get data from that need standardization.

For non reference or lookup data, there are really two main ways.

- scheduled ETL movement using something like SSIS, custom scripts, or some other tool

- more real time movement with replication.

Thanks, I'll have a look into MDS (which is new to me).

Problem is that I am looking into somethins more generic, maybe a datadriven solution. Not a solution where each export/import needs specific coding.

thanks for your input,

Ben

• MDS keeps the data, but it centralizes what you might do with reference tables.

It's a product in the category of MDM, master data management.

• thank you,

Ben

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply