Experiment First

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Experiment First

• You make good points this morning.  I think I was always the 'find the answer myself' type, mainly because lots of my career was before the days of electronic interaction with others involved in the same things.  Back then most of the time it was what we termed 'sink or swim'.  Then for a period of years I was the original 'techie' in a company where I implemented their first data processing effort of any kind at all.  And I was hiring folks just out of their education and not yet really into the difficult problem stage of their careers.  I did, however, work with a set of very good talented folks as we grew that installation.

However, now all that has changed.  First, as I have aged ( I'm 76 years old and retired for 10 years), I have unfortunately become obsolete in some skills skills, so I depend on you folks out here in the forums for help in finding answers to problems and insights to help me make progress.  I'm still daily involved in working with my personal data that I have accumulated over the years.  I regularly use SQL Server database software ( provided by my last boss, a man that I mentored when he joined my last employer), SQL code, and now am needing to develop new skills in the area of importing and exporting data between various type of commercial software.

My databases have become the central repository for bulk information and the center of my data universe.  My home office today houses six computers and a NAS device for my still expanding data collection.  My digital picture collection is rotating on a large flat screen and my digital music collection is playing on another system.  I am very appreciative of the help and ideas I get from others to help fill in the deficiencies of my older skill set.  But I'm also blessed with the time to research and experiment on my own.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Glad we can help you in some ways, and maybe you'd like to write a bit on how you build a db for personal use sometime. I'm sure it might help some others think about how they could practice skills with something that has meaning to an individual

• Steve, I appreciate your comments and the invitation to share.  My largest retirement pass time is experimenting with storing, cleaning  and manipulating data and crafting ways to move it among various applications that I use.  Since my most current skills are database design and development, and SQL pretty much the only language skill I have left, I depend on SQL Server and  it's data tools for all my projects along with several nice shareware and commercial applications.

I will try put together an article to submit for review.  My only wish is that I had begun saving my personal data earlier.  My general advice is to digitize and store all your data that you might want for the future.  Digital storage is LOTS cheaper and takes LOTS less space than paper files.

Rick

• Good points here, Steve. Although I'm finding Stack Overflow (SO) to be less helpful. I've been on it for almost 10 years. The last 3 years I've been insulted and bullied, just for asking a question. It has gotten to the point that I try never to ask anything on SO unless it is absolutely necessary.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod

I'm not all that familiar with Stack Overflow as I have only been on it a few times when it comes up in a general web search.  But I agree that we really don't need any sh!t when interacting online.  Just walk away and don't let anyone get under your skin.

I admit that I sometimes am up to a good 'discussion', but it tends to be of the sarcastic type rather that confrontational.  I have a few times had things interpreted in ways I did not necessarily mean, but I made the point.  At those times, I tend to just delete things and move on.  Just 'consider the source' and don't let anyone ruin your day.

I've always pretty much found SSC guys and gals to be tolerant of my rants, and I try to be tolerant too.  I guess it's worth a little harassment once in a while just to be in touch with folks with common interests.

Rick

• plz send teh codez 🙂

Looks like my little bit of sarcasm upset the editors...

Editor: Apologies, I thought this was a SPAM comment.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Steve Jones - SSC Editor.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Geoff.Sturdy. Reason: was intended as an ironic comment rather than spam
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Steve Jones - SSC Editor. Reason: clarification of edit
  • looks like my attempt  at humour fell  a little flat …. but was definitely not spam

• Ah, sorry,. Geoff. It looked like SPAM. I'll clean it up.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Ah, sorry,. Geoff. It looked like SPAM. I'll clean it up.

One unfortunate feature of the new forum software (and I guess the old software had it too) is that even if the spam gets deleted, it still shows up for weeks in the forum list as the latest post. Is the software or database structured such that its more difficult to remove?

• Geoff,  sorry but I guess I missed the point.  Maybe it's the hot buttered rum I just finished, but that's all right.  I'm retired and sitting at my home office computer, listening to Mario Lanza recordings.  He's great.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick

• Thank you Steve for your Gracious reply

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply