Executing DTS package from Stored Procedure

• Ok this is an old topic but with a new twist.

I'm trying to execute a dts package from a stored procedure. The dts package is a simple activeX script which moves a file from one location to another and deletes the original.

When I run the package directly in enterprise manager on the server it runs OK. When I run the package using xp_cmdshell and dtsrun from query analyser or a stored procedure the package fails when it trys to create the file system object using 'Set objScript= CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")'.

I believe this may be a permissions issue but any suggestions?

Regards

Keith Davies
    IT Consultant

• If all you are trying to do is copy a file and then delete the SOURCE have you thought about using a DOS BAT file that you could call from xp_cmdshell?  Or a VB app that could look at an INI or something else.

Sounds like overkill to use a package like that...

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Thanks for the reply, but can't use a dos bat file due to the security set-up - I think this maybe why xp_cmdshell may not be working correctly. The package and SQL Server has the permissions to do the task, it's just sorting a method which will work.

Regards

Keith Davies
    IT Consultant

• There's the option of starting a job that runs the DTS package through a trigger. Alternatively, set up a trigger to populate a table and a job that runs regularly to poll the table and kick off the DTS package if there is a new/updated row in the table. That will probably work for security.

xp_cmdshell probably has an issue with security - check to see what login it is using to access the file system. More than likely it's pretty locked down and restricted to the local machine.

• I would take at this article from the Database Journal:  http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1459181

The article describes how to execute a DTS package in a stored procedure without using the xp_cmdshell command.

Matt

• Just a caution on that method - I was using it successfully for a while and then it just stopped working. No errors, no warning, just no execution. Worked great while I was using it.

-Pete

• Thanks to all who contributed.

I've got it running now by executing a job via stored procedure rather than using DTS package!

Regards

Keith Davies
    IT Consultant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply