Executing DTS package from SP

• I have a developer that is trying to execute a DTS package through a stored procedure that is erroring out on executing sp_OACreate. Is there any problem with granting him execute permission on that procedure? Here is the error:

This is the stored proc with parameters exect I am running it through Coldfusion code.

exec spExecuteDTS 'GAWIN-SQLE-S01\DW', 'Revenue Share New Customer Upload Development', 'nat1rwc05'

And this is the error I am getting.

Server: Msg 229, Level 14, State 5, Procedure sp_OACreate, Line 19

EXECUTE permission denied on object 'sp_OACreate', database 'master', owner 'dbo'.

• sp_OAcreate can only be executed by sysadmins.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Why don't you try DTSRUN.......

Andy.

• Unfortunately, that too requires sysadmin rights to run because you have to do it through xp_cmdshell, unless you set up a proxy account...

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• You can set up a proxy account for SQL Server Agent, try the links below for how.  I know it works I have helped a lot of developers with it.  If you have more question post again.  Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_xp_aa-sz_8sdm.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_xp_aa-sz_4jxo.asp

Kind regards,

Gift Peddie

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply