Execute tsql script against multiple sql server instances

• Hi All,

I have below script which is a mix of TSQL+Powershell. Basically, it gives report of drive space.

PFA screenshot. Now, what I am looking for is, how can I execute the script against multiple sql server instances and load it into a centralised table. How can I achieve this?

-- To allow advanced options to be changed.

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

GO

-- To update the currently configured value for advanced options.

RECONFIGURE

GO

-- To enable the feature.

EXEC sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1

GO

-- To update the currently configured value for this feature.

RECONFIGURE

GO

SET NOCOUNT ON

declare @serverName varchar(500)

declare @sql varchar(400)

set @serverName = @@SERVERNAME

set @sql = 'C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -c "Get-WmiObject -ComputerName ' + QUOTENAME(@serverName,'''') + ' -Class Win32_Volume -Filter ''DriveType = 3'' | select name,capacity,freespace | foreach{$_.name+''|''+$_.capacity/1048576+''%''+$_.freespace/1048576+''*''}"'

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[diskspaceRpt]'))

DROP table [dbo].diskspaceRpt

CREATE TABLE #Result

(list varchar(255))

insert #Result

EXEC xp_cmdshell @sql

select rtrim(ltrim(SUBSTRING(list,1,CHARINDEX('|',list) -1))) as DriveName

,round(cast(rtrim(ltrim(SUBSTRING(list,CHARINDEX('|',list)+1,(CHARINDEX('%',list) -1)-CHARINDEX('|',list)) )) as Float),0) as 'Total Capacity(MB)'

,round(cast(rtrim(ltrim(SUBSTRING(list,CHARINDEX('%',list)+1, (CHARINDEX('*',list) -1)-CHARINDEX('%',list)) )) as Float),0)as 'Free Space(MB)'

,round(cast(rtrim(ltrim(SUBSTRING(list,CHARINDEX('|',list)+1,(CHARINDEX('%',list) -1)-CHARINDEX('|',list)) )) as Float)/1024,0) as 'Total Capacity(GB)'

,round(cast(rtrim(ltrim(SUBSTRING(list,CHARINDEX('%',list)+1, (CHARINDEX('*',list) -1)-CHARINDEX('%',list)) )) as Float) /1024 ,0)as 'Free Space(GB)'

from #Result

where list like '[A-Z][:]%'

order by drivename

go

drop table #Result

go

• The most easy way to do it is using PowerShell. The invoke-sqlcmd (see URL invoke-sqlcmd) can be used to run a SQL command (or SQL file) against an instance. Put it in a FOREACH loop to run it against multiple servers. Capture the output and redirect it to the central repository.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • I found a blog that describes a possible solution: Use PowerShell to Collect Server Data and Write to SQL[/url]

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Thanks a ton Hanshi.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply