Execute Stored Procedure Tool for Support Personnel

•  

I have a support team of non-SQL colleagues that need to provide support to end users. They have no sql background, no SSMS, no database-nous at all.  Currently they need to pass any SQL-related issues to me and I'm not 24/7 support.

Much of what they need to do can be done with a script but they don't have the means. I'm thinking to wrap scripts as stored procedures and offer these through a simple interface.  I haven't been able to Google up something useful, although this https://www.codelessplatforms.com/white-paper-library/call-stored-procedure-oledb-tool/ comes closest to what I was thinking but is not downloadable.

Does anyone know of a simple one-click kinda tool for executing procedures?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Fal.
  • Why not arrange so that they get SSMS and instructions to run your procedures? By time they can learn to write queries themselves. Obviously, you need to make sure that they only have readonly permissions, so they don't go and create a mess.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• You could provide them with PowerShell commands that run the script. Or, assuming they have a client tool installed, a batch file to run the command. I'd lean towards Powershell. Otherwise, build a simple app using C# or something. It's not that hard.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• If you have SSRS running, I have created SSRS reports that execute procs for the help desk.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply