Excute SP in Access 2007 Database

• I have an Access 2007 database that kicks off a sql stored procedure. The SP kicks off an email program. Runs fine most of the time. Once in a while the email program locks up.

We think it because the Access db is still connected. How do I kill the connection in the code? Here is my code.

Private Sub Command4_Exit(Cancel As Integer)

Set con = New ADODB.Connection

con.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=xx;User ID =XXXXXXX;Initial Catalog=XXXframework20;Data Source=XXX1SQl08"

con.Open

Set cmd = New ADODB.Command

cmd.ActiveConnection = con

cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO sv_process_event_tbl (process_guid,process_event_data_path, create_user) VALUES ('XXX52156X-X226-52X7-X781-X98X

6D85F569 ','\\XXFILESRV1\DATA\EmailXML.XML','CC2007_caccdb')"

cmd.Execute

End Sub

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

• tuhlig (11/22/2011)

I have an Access 2007 database that kicks off a sql stored procedure. The SP kicks off an email program. Runs fine most of the time. Once in a while the email program locks up.

We think it because the Access db is still connected. How do I kill the connection in the code? Here is my code.

A continuously open connection should not hang another software or connection's access unless the record is locked by the first connection. The statement you've shown us is a single row insert that should never need escalation nor should it have a concurrency delay unless something else has taken exclusive table locks.

Unless another process in the AccessDB is opening/closing transactions and this is a subcomponent, this should have no affect on your email software.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• A continuously open connection should not hang another software or connection's access unless the record is locked by the first connection. The statement you've shown us is a single row insert that should never need escalation nor should it have a concurrency delay unless something else has taken exclusive table locks.

Unless another process in the AccessDB is opening/closing transactions and this is a subcomponent, this should have no affect on your email software.

Thanks for the info!

I added the code line Set con = Nothing

just in case. I still need to test it.

Tom

• Tom,

As Craig pointed out an open connection shouldn't interfere with anything.

However, when using VB/VBA I find that explicitly closing and/or destroying objects before exiting the routine is a good practice. Objects are supposed to be destroyed when they go out of scope, but sometimes it takes a while.

Todd Fifield

• Code fails now. Don't know why. Last time I used the code 7/2011 it worked fine. Now when I run the code, I get an error.

"Complile error. User-defined type not difined."

I checked to make sure the right library was refereced, and it is.

The code stops at "Set con = New ADODB.Connection"

Any suggestions?

con.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=xx;User ID =XXXXXXX;Initial Catalog=XXXframework20;Data Source=XXX1SQl08"

con.Open

Set cmd = New ADODB.Command

cmd.ActiveConnection = con

cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO sv_process_event_tbl (process_guid,process_event_data_path, create_user) VALUES ('XXX52156X-X226-52X7-X781-X98X

6D85F569 ','\\XXFILESRV1\DATA\EmailXML.XML','CC2007_caccdb')"

cmd.Execute

End Sub

• 1. Check the references of your project (in the VBA Editor open the "Tools" menu and select "References"). There should be a reference to the "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.x Library", with x between 1 and 8 (7 or 8 being the best). Add it if its missing.

2. Declare the variable "con" before using it:

Dim con As ADODB.Connection

Have a nice day!

• Thanks! that was the problem.

🙂

rf44 (12/14/2011)

1. Check the references of your project (in the VBA Editor open the "Tools" menu and select "References"). There should be a reference to the "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.x Library", with x between 1 and 8 (7 or 8 being the best). Add it if its missing.

2. Declare the variable "con" before using it:

Dim con As ADODB.Connection

Have a nice day!

• You're welcome!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply