Excluding a Where and Order By clause based on a parameter value

• This should be easy. I have need to write a single stored proc that will use or not use the Where and Order By clauses based on paramater values. I want to use a case statement, but I don't seem to be able to do that. I can do it with If statements, but it makes the code look like this:

create procedure usp_CM_Get_Info

(

@sort int = 0,

@UPPER_DESCRIPTION varchar(60) = ''

)

as

Set Nocount On

if @UPPER_DESCRIPTION <> ''

begin

if @sort <> 0

begin

Select SITE_ID, [DESCRIPTION], UPPER_DESCRIPTION,

UPDATED_BY, LAST_UPDATE, ACTIVE

From dbo.LU_SITE

Where UPPER_DESCRIPTION = @UPPER_DESCRIPTION

Order By [SEQUENCE]

end

else

begin

From dbo.LU_SITE

Where UPPER_DESCRIPTION = @UPPER_DESCRIPTION

end

end

else

begin

if @sort <> 0

From dbo.LU_SITE

Order By [SEQUENCE]

end

else

begin

From dbo.LU_SITE

From dbo.LU_SITE

end

end

GO

Any ideas and best practices are always appreciated.

WABALUBADUBDUB

• Here is a solution for the WHERE clause using a variable turned off or on.  The solution for the ORDER BY might be a problem if you don't want an extra column output in your query (Seq).

(

@sort int = 0,

)

as

Set Nocount On

declare @trueFlag bit

if @UPPER_DESCRIPTION = '' set @trueFlag = 1

UPDATED_BY, LAST_UPDATE, ACTIVE,

Seq = case when @sort <> '' then [SEQUENCE] else 0 end

From dbo.LU_SITE

Where (UPPER_DESCRIPTION = @UPPER_DESCRIPTION or @trueFlag=1)

Order By Seq

go

• I've used the above technique (slightly modified below) lots of times for WHERE clauses. The ORDER BY clause is more difficult. If you just have SORT or DON'T SORT and the columns are always the same in the SORT version then you just use an IF/ELSE like you are now. If you need to be able to have varying columns in the ORDER BY clause then you will need to use dynamic SQL.

My version of the above (assuming you don't want additional columns):

(

@sort int = 0,

)

as

Set Nocount On

IF @sort=0 BEGIN

From dbo.LU_SITE

Where (UPPER_DESCRIPTION = @UPPER_DESCRIPTION or @UPPER_DESCRIPTION = '')

ELSE

From dbo.LU_SITE

Where (UPPER_DESCRIPTION = @UPPER_DESCRIPTION or @UPPER_DESCRIPTION = '')

ORDER BY [SEQUENCE]
    END

go

• I prefer using 'like' in the where clause and setting the parameter equal to % when the user wants to bypass it.  The order by would have to be handled conditionally.

I am more concerned at what appears to be the use of reserved words as columns names.  This is pretty high on the list of bad habits.  If you reported to anyone at my company, you'd be in trouble.

• There are two other possibilities for handling the order by. I've also included yet another option for dealing with the WHERE clause change, not that there is anything wrong with the other three options already presented. If you wind up with a lot of variances in the order by statements, the order by clause can be handled with a case statement or inside an IF statement similar to the above approaches. If using the IF statement approach you can avoid recoding the main query by placing it into a variable based temp table as in the following:

declare @TempRS table( SITE_ID int, [DESCRIPTION] varchar(60), UPPER_DESCRIPTION varchar(60), UPDATED_BY char(8), LAST_UPDATE datetime, ACTIVE bit, [SEQUENCE] int )

if @UPPER_DESCRIPTION = '' set @UPPER_DESCRIPTION = NULL

INSERT INTO @TempRS

SELECT SITE_ID, [DESCRIPTION], UPPER_DESCRIPTION, UPDATED_BY, LAST_UPDATE, ACTIVE, [SEQUENCE]

FROM dbo.LU_SITE

WHERE UPPER_DESCRIPTION = ISNULL( @UPPER_DESCRIPTION, UPPER_DESCRIPTION )

if @sort = 0

begin

SELECT SITE_ID, [DESCRIPTION], UPPER_DESCRIPTION, UPDATED_BY, LAST_UPDATE, ACTIVE

FROM @TempRS

end

else if @sort = 1

begin

SELECT SITE_ID, [DESCRIPTION], UPPER_DESCRIPTION, UPDATED_BY, LAST_UPDATE, ACTIVE

FROM @TempRS

ORDER BY [SEQUENCE]

end

Alternatively you could create a second SP that returned all the data being placed in the @TempRS table above and then in the IF block select from the EXEC of the SP instead of the temp table. Note that the above also avoids returning [SEQUENCE] should you not care to have it. If you don't mind returning it SELECT * would read better.

Another option is using a case statement in the ORDER BY instead of using an outer IF structure at all. In your case the whole thing is reduced to a single SQL statement vs 2 or 4 statements.

if @UPPER_DESCRIPTION = '' set @UPPER_DESCRIPTION = NULL

FROM dbo.LU_SITE

WHERE UPPER_DESCRIPTION = ISNULL( @UPPER_DESCRIPTION, UPPER_DESCRIPTION )

ORDER BY case when @sort = 1 then [SEQUENCE] else '' end

• I never knew you could use a CASE statement in the ORDER BY clause! Wow! The number of complex SQL statements I can reduce (inherited from someone who knew nothing about SQL) in some of our apps is astronomical. This makes setting up stored procedures for requests where the ORDER BY is variable much simpler.

Thanks!

• To be honest I didn't know you could either. I started my post for the temp table/exec thing but first decided to prove that a case didn't work in the ORDER BY and found out it did work. Since I was under the distinct impression that I had tried it and failed before, I think it may be an enhancement as of SQL 2000.

• Great stuff folks. Thanks.

BTW to Sue, this is a legacy system that I am working on. I would like to be rid of the problem, but I am stuck with the column names.

WABALUBADUBDUB

• Hi guys,

Have you considered using dynamic SQL? I.e., you would create a varchar variable with the query (using CASE to determine if the query would have either the WHERE or ORDER BY) and then execute it with EXECUTE or sp_executesql.

I think this is more standard solution.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply