EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

• When I attempt to run SQL Server 2000 I get the following message in the event log.

quote:

17310 :FRunCM: Process 680 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

Rebooting and various other tactics do not resolve the error.

I have no idea what it means. It looks like a process tried to grab memory to which it has no access. IF this is the case how can I find out what it is conflicting with.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

• Look in the sql log directory on the server.

You should have a .dmp file which may give more information

Steven

• This is a new installed instance? Or is old and the problem started to show now? If so, did you make any changes to the server?

• I am also getting the same error on the SQL 7.00.996 Production Server which I don't have Administrative access to (since its another dept server). I have only SELECT accesss on this server. Some times eother QA or EM used hang, and get the above error. All the Production DBAs used to get paged on this. Some of the instances I get the above error as follows:

1. most of the times (not all times) when I tried to expand Enterprise Manager,

2. One time (not all times) when I type "SELECT *" and change the database from toolbar in QA,

3. Some times (not all times) when I query the database.

I tried to see the .DMP file in the LOG directory. But I don't understand. When I tried to see all the .DMP files, only my ID exists in all the files. I don't understand why I am getting this error. I am NOT trying to access the system tables.

• Any Ideas on this?! Or if we get errors like this, what do we need to do?!

• EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION comes mostly from application bugs. I would send result of sqldiag.exe and the .dmp file to microsoft. You wouldn't be charged if it really is a bug.

• Thank You Allen.

• The one time i have seen something similar to this the drive was almost out of space. Once we cleaned up the drive it went away. Not sure is this was the same exact error but the exception_access_error was the thing i remember.

• Got this is SQLSVR 7 DTS jobs after our netadmin applied a W2K security patch to the server. Had to re-apply current SQLSVR SP to resolve.

• EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION may occur due to various reasons. Its on a case to case basis. As said by Allen, its a good idea, but it would be better if you could contact the primary DBA for that server and ask him to review the error log and dmp file. With Microsoft its bit time taking and labourous task to get to the solution as they have to diagnose the cause bit by bit and its more intensive. Maybe the DBA can get to the root cause, in case the DBA could not find a solution in that case you can contact Microsoft. ( i have gone through this phase)

Good Luck.

• As I am running the personnal edition of SQL Server on my laptop I have a sneaking suspicion that the error is caused by a conflict between other software running on the laptop.

A complete rebuild will fix the problem, but it would take over a week to reinstall all software and settings it is not something I am keen to do!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply