Excel not supported in SSIS 64bit

• Hi Experts,

I am running a package with a 64bit version of sql server .The package runs fine when executed manually in management studio (imported the package).

However, when I try to schedule it, it fails. I have tried a few things to fix this but to no avail. The summary of the error it gives me is that Excel is not supported in the 64 bit. I have tried the following to work around this;

- in the package property, changed the run64bitruntime debug option to "false"

- set delayed validation property to "true" for all the tasks in the package

Do I need to change the ole db microsoft jet provider? If so, how do I go about that? Any ideas please?

• Because you are using the Excel/Jet driver you need to make sure you use the 32-bit version of dtexec to run the package. On 64-bit installs SQL Server Agent uses the 64-bit version when you create a job to run an SSIS package. Check out this article, the answer you are looking for is near the bottom of the article.

• A method we use is to execute the pack using the cmd mode in 32 bit. Setup the job step as a CMD package, prefixed with the following:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\dtexec.exe"

Extract the command line string for your DTS package and put it after the dtexec.exe command.

Steve Haines

• For anyone looking for a working solution I am using the code below on a 64 bit SQL 2008 server. Thanks Steve for the push in the right direction.

My SSIS package adds @I_SIP_ID as a new column to the excel results then inserts into a staging table.

DECLARE @V_PACKAGE VARCHAR(1000)

DECLARE @I_SIP_ID INT, @V_FILEPATH VARCHAR(1000)

SELECT @I_SIP_ID = 80, @V_FILEPATH = 'G:\SIP\NEW1.xls'

/*CMD_SHELL HAS TO USE DOS 8.3 NOTATION SO CAN ONLY HAVE ONE SET OF DOUBLE QUOTES!

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/4e7024bb-9362-49ca-99d7-1b74f7178a65*/

SELECT @V_PACKAGE = '"D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\dtexec.exe" '

+ '/FILE G:\SIP\Import_SIP_excel.dtsx '

+ '/SET \Package.Variables[User::i_sip_id].Value;' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), @I_SIP_ID) + ' '

+ '/SET \Package.Variables[User::s_file_name].Value;' + @V_FILEPATH + ' '

+ '/MAXCONCURRENT -1 '

+ '/CHECKPOINTING OFF'

CREATE TABLE #T (V_OUTPUT VARCHAR(1000))

--Insert into temp table so we pick up the results as well as exec

INSERT INTO #T

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell @V_PACKAGE

SELECT *

FROM #T

--WHERE V_OUTPUT LIKE '%Error%'

DROP TABLE #T

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply