Excel files and reporting services issue

• Hi All,

My Environment is as follows:

Server: SQL Server 2008

Clients: Internet Explorer 8, MS Office 2007

Issue:

I can upload Excel files to the reports manager without a problem, when clients try and download them they are presented with the usual, Do you want to open or save this file dialog, with options , open / save / cancel

The problem occurs when the user selects the 'open' option. The file is opened in excel BUT as a file called resource.aspx? Only if the user saves the file to disk does it take on the correct file name with correct file extension of .xslx

My questions are:

1. Why does the file upload correctly as an excel file type but download as an aspx?!?!?

2. Is there a way to let Reporting Services associate the .xlsx extension with Excel.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Regards,

Davey

• Are they running the report and then exporting to excel or is there a URL that they click to bring them right to the Open/Save/Cancel dialog?

• Hi Steve,

I have uploaded an excel file to reporting services not a rpt file for export.

When a user accesses the excel file from the reporting services the open/save/cancel dialog appears and when the user clicks 'open' the file is opened with the file name 'report.aspx' rather then 'filename.xsl'

Thanks

Dave

• I see your problem now. I just did a few tests and unfortunately (for you) it worked fine for me. Is it SQL 2005? When you look at the properties of the document does it have the .xls extension? Could this be an IIS Setting perhaps?

• Hey steve,

I am using SQL 2008.

The file being uploaded to reporting services does have the extension .xls

I think its probably an IE issue as I dont get the problem when using a different browser.

However I still have no idea how to solve it! Its driving me up the wall.

Thanks

• Try looking in the Report Server logs. In my log I see this when I tried to open the .XLS file

CreateResourceAction(Union%20Listings%20August%2017%202009[1].xlsx, /Human Resources, False, application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet).

I'm totally grasping as straws now, I'm also running RS2008 so things may look different.

• D'Oh, you're also running SRS2008... I knew that...

• Hi

Did you find a solution to this?

I have the same problem and if a user clicks on a second spreadsheet in SSRS 2008, they get the error that they cant open more than one file of the same name 'resource.aspx'. If they click ok to the error message, the second file opens in the same excel window anyway and has the correct filename.

• tracy-680292 (3/1/2011)

Hi

Did you find a solution to this?

I have the same problem and if a user clicks on a second spreadsheet in SSRS 2008, they get the error that they cant open more than one file of the same name 'resource.aspx'. If they click ok to the error message, the second file opens in the same excel window anyway and has the correct filename.

Unfortuantely not. The only way around it for me was to uplaod the excel file saved as an 2003 version, a '.xls' file

• I just verified that it works in SSRS 2008 R2. However despite this, I have to wonder, did Microsoft intend for us to serve Excel files from the Report Server or Report Manager?

I think what might be happening is the version of HTTP.SYS that shipped with SSRS 2008 doesn't have MIME types for Office files and is only intended for serving out the asp.net pages and ssrs reports.

• I have SSRS 2008 R2 and it wont work for me in Report Manager on that either. It makes me wonder if it is an IE setting somewhere. Back to the drawing board on this one now...

• I don't know why this happens but this is what I've found and how I've solved this issue. It seems that sometimes opening Excel files from Report Server would work just fine in SQL 2005 and other Excel files would open with resource.aspx.

I noticed that the MimeType column on the Catalog table under the ReportServer DB would have a value other than application/octet-stream when the Excel file would open up as resource.aspx. However, if the MimeType was application/octet-stream it would open with the name that the Excel file was added to Report Server with. All I did was update the MimeType column to be application/octet-stream and everything worked fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply