excel error

• Hi,

I'm getting a peculiar problem.

for example i entered 2/2/2010 in excel and integrating it to notepad. itz been interpreted as 40211. if i try to get the date for that number in sql server using

select datepart(dd,40211),datepart(mm,40211),datepart(yy,40211)

i'm getting

(No column name) (No column name) (No column name)

4 2 2007

which is not correct.

how to get the correct dates?

Thanks,

Regards,

Anamika

• select cast(40211 as datetime)

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi,

while I use cast also i get the same answer.

I repeat my question :

for the date '2/2/2010' i got 40211.

when you use the date functions to get the date I'm getting 4th february instead of 2nd february. is there any reason behind it?

how can i solve this.

thanks,

regards

anamika

• Excel and SQL Server have different dates for 'Day 0'.

In Excel, it is 1900-01-00 and in SQL Server it is 1900-01-01. That accounts for one day's difference.

The other day I am not certain about, but I have read about a slight error in Excel's implementation, in that the year 1900 was interpreted as a leap year, so Excel's days calculation assumes that there was a 29th February in the year 1900 (which there was not). Try typing this date into Excel and you will see that it validates as a date.

So - that explains both days. You just need to subtract 2 from the SQL Server cast date

select cast((ExcelDays - 2) as datetime)

This. of course, stops working if any of year dates are earlier than 1900-03-01, for the reason explained above.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply