Evaluting a DBA

• will 58232 wrote:

In an interview, should you give the right answer or the one expected by Oracle? If the interviewer doesn't understand why Oracle are wrong - perhaps you don't want the job.

This is why I don't like multiple choice style exams to for interviews. Although ERD are typically used to visualize relational models, it could also apply to multi-dimensional and other models, so long as you have a more flexible definition of what an ERD is.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Although ERD are typically used to visualize relational models, it could also apply to multi-dimensional and other models, so long as you have a more flexible definition of what an ERD is.

Relations (tables and views in SQL) are multidimensional, that's why Oracle's preferred answer A is wrong. A relation in an RDBMS is not the same thing as a relationship in an ERD diagram.

There is no question that Microsoft's training material is of a much higher standard than Oracle's.

• will 58232 wrote:

Anyone yet to take me up on explaining why a relational DBMS is called "relational"? It's a pretty fundamental question for a DBA.

Dr Codd described a relation in a way that described what we think of as a record or tuple

• David.Poole wrote:

will 58232 wrote:

Anyone yet to take me up on explaining why a relational DBMS is called "relational"? It's a pretty fundamental question for a DBA.

Dr Codd described a relation in a way that described what we think of as a record or tuple

Heh... I can relate to that. 😀

Now, if you really want to have some fun, ask people to pronounce the word "tuple".  If they get it right in your opinion, either give them Tulips or Tupperware as a reward. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It all also depends on the needs of a particular IT shop that is looking to hire a DBA.

Of course there are many unspoken factors, too.

Likes to play Chess

• Dr Codd described a relation in a way that described what we think of as a record or tuple

A relation (in the relational model) is more equivalent to a table or view in SQL. It expresses the relation between sets. A tuple is the equivalent of a row, and expresses the relation between one member from each set. The tuple is one member of the relation - the relation itself being a set of tuples.

I've found an understanding of set theory to be useful in my day to day work, as have logical transformations like de Morgan.

It's helped me to find more generalised answers to apparently different problems.

• Now, if you really want to have some fun, ask people to pronounce the word "tuple".  If they get it right in your opinion, either give them Tulips or Tupperware as a reward. 😀

Just keep telling them that SQuirreL rocks

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply