Estimating SQL Server 7/2000 table sizes

• I have been unable to find any tools to help me estimate table sizes. i.e. How much disk space is needed for a specific table definition with x number of rows, clustered/unclustered, fill factor, etc.

Is disk space so cheap that this type of tool is not needed?

I ask of course after having already developed a Visual Basic .Net application which does estimate table space for SQL 7/2000.  Maybe I have put the cart before the horse!!

Please share your thoughts with me.

TIA

Gary Andrews

• Hi,

I have recently installed Microsoft Backoffice 4.5 for some other reasons and believe to have come across one of the bundled "tool" in a form of an Excel spreadsheet which it works out the estimated table size based on the value you key in.

Perhaps some other pros have actually used it could tell you more.

Good luck

herb

• If you have Kalen Delaney Inside SQL book there are some scripts in chapter 8 to estimate table sizes.

• I will make available the application I developed to estimate table size and clustered index size for MS SQL Server 7/2000 for FREE to anyone interested.

"TABLESIZER" is a Visual Basic .Net application, which estimates the size of a Microsoft SQL Server 7/2000 table and it's clustered index (if it has one).

TableSizer may be acquired by sending an e-mail to "tablesizersupport@cox.net", including your e-mail address.

An e-mail with a 64kb zip file attachment containing TableSizer & Readme.txt files will be returned to requestor.

TableSizer requires the .Net Framework in order to execute "TableSizer.exe".

Installing and using TableSizer in no way changes or modifies your PC/Server.  There are no registery entries made or maintained.  There are no OCXs/DLLs installed or registered.

Uninstall by simply deleteing TableSizer.exe.

This is a "no-frills", spartan user interface, get the job done application!!!

Gary Andrews

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply