Estimated execution plan not showing?

• Anyone had an issue when requesting the estimated execution plan which is not showing? Either using the icon or the shortcut (well I would have been surprised that each behave differently but I did give it a try, who knows?)

The message windows state (1 row(s) affected) and the lower status (in yellow by default) bar shows "Query executed successfully" without showing any plan.

Even opening a new connection or completely a new instance of SSMS does the same thing. Others queries are not affected by this.

It is SQL Server 2008 SP1 Dev No CU English x86, running on WinXP SP3

• What's the query that you're running? If you run the query with the actual exec plan option on, do you see the execution plan?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • This is the reason I wanted to use the estimated one, having a feeling of what it looks like rapidly. Using the actual one would take a long time to setup properly and make it run.

I've achieved what I wanted to do by removing some portion of the code and estimated back.

(an old C++ compiler trick when it didn't want to compile for obscure reasons)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply