Escape for quote in install configuration file

• I've been installing SQL with a unattended install for awhile, and have the following settings in my install_configuration.ini file. I happened to come across a password with a quote in it today, and am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and figured out the proper way to escape that quote? I've tried the standard backslash method, and found that to not work.

; SQL Server Agent Service Account

AGTSVCACCOUNT="Domain\UserName"

AGTSVCPASSWORD="PasswordWith"AQuoteInIt"

; SQL Server Service Account

SQLSVCACCOUNT="Domain\UserName"

SQLSVCPASSWORD="PasswordWith"AQuoteInIt"

; SSRS Service Account

RSSVCACCOUNT="Domain\UserName"

RSSVCPASSWORD="PasswordWith"AQuoteInIt"

The cool thing is the install apparently tries a few time to authenticate before giving up, because it ends up locking out the account each time. 🙂

Thanks,

Jason

The Redneck DBA

• Jason Shadonix (8/19/2014)

I've been installing SQL with a unattended install for awhile, and have the following settings in my install_configuration.ini file. I happened to come across a password with a quote in it today, and am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and figured out the proper way to escape that quote? I've tried the standard backslash method, and found that to not work.

; SQL Server Agent Service Account

AGTSVCACCOUNT="Domain\UserName"

AGTSVCPASSWORD="PasswordWith"AQuoteInIt"

; SQL Server Service Account

SQLSVCACCOUNT="Domain\UserName"

SQLSVCPASSWORD="PasswordWith"AQuoteInIt"

; SSRS Service Account

RSSVCACCOUNT="Domain\UserName"

RSSVCPASSWORD="PasswordWith"AQuoteInIt"

The cool thing is the install apparently tries a few time to authenticate before giving up, because it ends up locking out the account each time. 🙂

Thanks,

Jason

Have you tried doubling up the quote, ""? We had similar issues in batch files passing passwords with % and @ in the password. Doubling them worked for us.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• As Lynn says, two adjacent quotes should do the trick.

Have you looked into Domain Managed Accounts. These cannot be used in all situations, but where they can be used it means you no longer have a password to worry about.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I ended up giving up and just installing manually. Next time I have a password with a quote in it I'll try the double quote and see what happens. Or just ask the guys to quit generating passwords with quotes in them... 🙂

The Redneck DBA

• I just had to do another install today, so I made a point to ask for a password with a quote in it. I can confirm that double-quoting does the trick. Thanks for the pointers!

These automated installs + PowerShell are really turning out to be a time saver!

The Redneck DBA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply