Errors when clicking "Report Builder"

• Hello,

So my company uses SSRS 2012 to allow our users to run reports and build their own.  And the only person at the company who knew much about it just left.  I know very little about SSRS in general, unfortunately.

Here is what I can say about the issue:

• We can connect to the SSRS site to run reports without any problem.  It is only when we click "Report Builder" that we get a pop up asking for us to log in again, followed by an error ("")
    • When clicking "Report Builder" in IE 11, we see an error pop up "The system cannot find the file specified.".  IE then crashes, leaving an empty notepad file open.
    • When clicking "Report Builder" in Chrome or Firefox, a file is downloaded.  When I go to my downloads to try and run the file, the text file shows the following error: "Deployment and application do not have matching security zones."
    • When clicking "Report Builder" in Edge, the text file shows the error: "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized."
    • This issue only started happening within the past month.  Before that, it was working without incident for years from what I've been able to gather.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance as to where I should start looking.  Here is what I've seen so far:

• I have .NET Framework 4.6 installed on my machine.
    • The accounts of those who would be given permission to this shouldn't have changed recently, but I can confirm that these users belong to active directory accounts that have sys admin permissions in the SSRS portal.
    • The Reporting Services services are up and running.

Where do I go from here?

• Why do you need to use report builder? most of the tasks can be done without it. Are the reports and datasource visible on the ssrs site? can you see the properties and execute reports? can you upload reports?

• Hi dataEnthusiast.  Yes, I can see the datasources and run reports without issue.  From everything I can see, the SSRS portal is behaving normally outside of the "Report Builder" button.  Our users have been making use of the report builder for years to construct their own queries.  I'm not familiar enough with SSRS to be able to say whether we actually need it or not, but getting it to work properly would certainly be the ideal solution for us.

• Still never found the reason this suddenly became a problem for us, but we were able to solve it by adding the IP address of the box to the intranet sites in IE.  We had the normal DNS site url in there already, but SSRS appeared not to be using that for the Report Builder.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply