Errors in mid-recovery

• Hello all,

My first post on SQLservercentral, been browsing for a while though and love the forum.

I ran into a problem related to recovery of a SQL server 2008 database that I was hoping to get some help with.

This is what happened:

1. I initiated a long transaction (update of a data warehouse).

2. In mid-transaction, my computer hung and had to be rebooted.

3. When I relaunched SQL server 2008 management studio, my database appeared in the object explorer with the words (in recovery) next to it.

4. After a while, I refreshed my database list and (in recovery) no longer appeared next to my database, so I assumed that the transaction had been rolled back and my database was available.

5. I tried to run a simple select statement to see the contents of a table, but it was taking much longer than it should have to return results. I noted that my 4gb RAM was being fully utilized even though the table I was trying to access has only about 200 records in it.

6. I canceled the transaction and rebooted the computer.

7. The database was still appearing in object explorer and queries would start but not finish (I waited a few hours for results that should have taken a few seconds).

8. When I right-clicked my database and selected 'Properties', I got an error message which unfortunately I didn't write down but I think it said that the database was locked, try again later.

9. Thinking that maybe the recovery hadn't fully completed even though (in recovery) wasn't appearing next to my database, I left it alone for a few days.

10. The situation didn't change (still could query but results wasn't getting results back) so I went read about recovery problems a bit and as a result checked the error logs to see if there were any unusual messages there.

Here is what I found:

When the database went into recovery, Phase 1 of 3 seems to have completed, then phase 2 of 3 started.

Phase 2 of 3 got to the point where it was saying that recovery was 99% complete and approx 17 seconds remained

Then this error message happened:

SQL Server has encountered 1 occurence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [W:\MyDatabaseName.MDF] in database [MyDatabaseName] (17). The OS file handle is 0x0000000000000708. The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x00003565a80000

This was followed by this error message:

SQL server has encountered 23065 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [W:\MyDatabaseName.MDF] in database [MyDatabaseName] (17). The OS file handle is 0x0000000000000708. The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x00001d25a04000

And then this one:

AppDomain 2 (mssqlsystemresource.sys[runtime].1) is marked for unload due to memory pressure.

And then this:

AppDomain 2 (mssqlsystemresource.sys[runtime].1) unloaded.

After that there's a bunch of messages telling me that SQL is setting database option compatibility level to 100 for the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases.

11. When I discovered these error messages, I tried to take the database offline and online again using SSMS. However the take database offline dialogue box seems to be stuck now, it says 1 remaining, status in progress and its been like that for a couple of hours.

So a few questions:

1. Am I right to think that the recovery process isn't complete since the log didn't record a 'Recovery is complete' message?

2. Any ideas on what went wrong?

3. Any ideas on what I should do next to get my database up and running again, rolled back to where it was before the transaction it was processing when the computer hung?

• try to shut down the database using command [not using UI].

try using detach and attach [Not much sure about problems if any]

• I tried to run the following code to take the database offline instead of using the UI:

ALTER DATABASE [MyDatabaseName]

SET OFFLINE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

Now it says 'executing query' just below the results pane and in the log file I have 2 log entries that say 'Setting database option OFFLINE to ON for database [MyDatabaseName]. One of these entries is from when I tried to set the database offline using the UI and the other is from the code I just ran.

• Looks like my first hunch was correct! Database was recovering - just checked logs and before the take offline processed (which took ages because the DB was waiting to finish recovering), the database recovery completed. I took it back online and can use it now - mystery solved.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply