Error while running 2005 upgrade advisor

• If you are installing from CD then -->This happens because in CD format, the tools are on the second disk. (DVD installs do not have this problem) Follow one suggestion and create a single directory and copy the contents of both CDs into it. and start the installation from there.

MJ

• Hi Manu,

I have created the bpaclient folder in the bootstrap and copied the .dll and the upgrade was successful.

thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Suleman

=======================================================================================

Visit my technical reference; you might find some of your issues already documented.

• Thanks for the solution, tucankur.

As suleman writes it should be "bpa" not "bpn".

I didn't even get a link to MS website. It just reported "UpgradeAdvisor returned -1". I did a quick search but could not find Upgrade Advisor error codes documented anywhere!

• tucankur (10/18/2008)

There is a folder called BPA and under the child folder called "binn" there is a file called bpnclient.dll. Create a new folder under the main BPN folder called the bpnclient and move this file into that folder from the binn folder and rerun your upgrade...it should work!

This worked a charm for me. Thanks

• Hello ,

currently i facing the same problem could u plesae describe more which boot folder or provide the steps to handle this error

your quicly reply is highly appriciated

• The fix that got me working was to copy all of the files from within the \BPA\Bin folder and paste them into \BPA\.

More info in blog post[/url].

• I feel like I've tried every solution out there and I'm still getting the same error.

I got the analyzer to run by adding the bpaclient.dll file to the directory up a level.

Then I ran the SQL 2005 setup. I got the same error during installation when the analyzer tried to run again and resolved it by copying the same dll file up a directory level in the production directory. But then the next screen I am prompted to enter the credentials for the service account and I get the same error message again.

The password is strong enough.

I can sign onto SQL and the server with the account credentials so I know they're active.

I have tried using both the sa account and the Windows Credentials. If I use SA, I'm still prompted to enter the SQL 2000 service account login.

The minimum password requirements are turned off.

I have copied every file in the BPA\Bin folder and paste them into \BPA\ directory.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled every version of .net that I can think of.

I have uninstalled .net and let the SQL setup install it itself.

All of this to no avail.

I read somewhere about "GACing" the dll but I am not familiar with that. I do not have Visual Studio installed on this server.

PLEASE any thoughts on how to resolve this error??

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply