Error while deleting linked server

• Hello everyone, I just created a linked server using EM. I then tried deleting it and I get the following error message. Any idea what I should do? SQL Server does not allow me to delete. Thanks

Server: Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Line 55

Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'distribution'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

• Close EM and reopen, or try restarting SQL Server and see if problem persists.

• Hi, I closed down EM and also restarted the service and the server and it still didn't help. I get the same error.

• you may use sp_addlinkedserver in sql query analyzer

quote:

Hi, I closed down EM and also restarted the service and the server and it still didn't help. I get the same error.

I love Database administrate job!

• I think qruntime meant sp_dropserver to try and remove it.

• Usually when I have that problem, is when something is using that linked server, like replication or a job has an open connection to it.

• I have tried using QA and get the same error message.

I tried deleting this link immediately after creating it so it was not being used by anyone.

Its very odd.

• What version of SQL Server are you running? And how did you define the link (server name, driver, etc (no security info thou))?

• We are running SQL 2000 S2.

I created it in EM with "Server Type" of Sql Server, remote login username and password, and under Option Name, "Data Access", RPC, and "RPC Out" were chosen. Thats all. I am not sure if this will be of help, I created a linked server on server a to connect to server b. I was not able to connect, even though I have created other linked servers on server a. I then created a linked server from server b to server a. I then deleted the second linked server on server b and then tried to delete the first linked server. It is then that I got the message.

• I will test to see if I can duplicate but I have not run accross this issue before?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply