Error when altering steps from job in SQL 2008

• hi..

it's very annoying everytime i choose edit steps from a job in SQL2008, it sometimes get such an error like this

first time it doesn't show errors, several times i choose edit, it display this errors.

pls, anyone can solve this problem..

thanks

• Not Sure about a permanent fix however restarting SSMS solves the issue temporally. 🙂

Regards,
    Shafat Husain
    🙂
    And Your Lord Never Forgets...!! (64:19 -- Quran)

• From the following Microsoft connect site SSMS : Can no longer create or edit job steps I found Microsoft has fixed it:

Issue: When attempting to add a step to a SQL Server Job,if you see this issue "Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {AA40D1D6-CAEF-4A56-B9BB-D0D3DC976BA2} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: c001f011. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS)",

Fixes:

SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26727

SQL Server 2008 SP3 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=27594

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlagent/archive/2012/01/20/fix-ssms-can-no-longer-create-or-edit-job-steps-creating-an-instance-of-the-com-component-with-clsid-aa40d1d6-caef-4a56-b9bb-d0d3dc976ba2-from-the-iclassfactory-failed.aspx

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Hi..

How do i know if i already installed service pack or not yet ?

Thanks

• You can see the version of the client tools (i.e. SSMS) in the "about" section of the "help" menu.

Information about the version (and latest installed servicepack) of the SQL Server engine can be obtained by executing "SELECT @@VERSION" in a (new) query window. The result will show you the edition of SQL Server and also states information about installed service pack. You can also look at the version number in the Object Explorer pane of SSMS when you are connected to the instance.

See for more information: How to determine the version and edition of SQL Server and its components

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • HanShi (12/22/2014)

When connected to the proper SQL instance, execute "SELECT @@VERSION" in a (new) query window. The result will show you the edition of SQL Server and also states information about installed service pack.

That shows the server's service pack. Since this is a .net error, it's a client error from management studio. To see if you've patched management studio, Help -> About and look at the version number there and compare it against any of the lists that google can get you on what service pack has what version number.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi..

I just check SELECT @@VERSION from my local connections, and here it is..

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1600.1 (Intel X86) Apr 2 2010 15:53:02 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.1 <X86> (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

seems i already patched with SP3. but still getting those errors.

• Check the last reply from the GilaMonster. 🙂

Regards,
    Shafat Husain
    🙂
    And Your Lord Never Forgets...!! (64:19 -- Quran)

• gentong.bocor (12/11/2014)

hi..

it's very annoying everytime i choose edit steps from a job in SQL2008, it sometimes get such an error like this

first time it doesn't show errors, several times i choose edit, it display this errors.

pls, anyone can solve this problem..

thanks

Are you trying from SQL 2005 clients ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• No.. i'm using SQL2008 on client, server also using SQL2008..

As GilaMonster said, the problem came from client accessing server. I checked from management studio on client and it's already SP3

• GilaMonster (12/22/2014)

HanShi (12/22/2014)

When connected to the proper SQL instance, execute "SELECT @@VERSION" in a (new) query window. The result will show you the edition of SQL Server and also states information about installed service pack.

That shows the server's service pack. Since this is a .net error, it's a client error from management studio. To see if you've patched management studio, Help -> About and look at the version number there and compare it against any of the lists that google can get you on what service pack has what version number.

then, how to repair management studio on client to fix this errors ?

I already upgraded with SP3, but the problem still sometimes appear..

• gentong.bocor (12/28/2014)

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1600.1 (Intel X86) Apr 2 2010 15:53:02 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.1 <X86> (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

That's not service pack 3. That's RTM. You need to apply at least service pack 3 to this, preferably service pack 4.

I assume SSMS is also RTM, as you didn't say what version SSMS returns.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (12/29/2014)

gentong.bocor (12/28/2014)

That's not service pack 3. That's RTM. You need to apply at least service pack 3 to this, preferably service pack 4.

I assume SSMS is also RTM, as you didn't say what version SSMS returns.

Here's copy/paste from Help | About.. from Management Studio.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio10.50.1600.1

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools10.50.1600.1

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)3.85.1132

Microsoft MSXML2.6 3.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer8.0.6001.18702

Microsoft .NET Framework2.0.50727.3607

Operating System5.1.2600

But SELECT @@VERSION, did u see the words (Build 2600: Service Pack 3) ? That means, i did upgraded it with SP3.

• gentong.bocor (12/29/2014)

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio10.50.1600.1

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools10.50.1600.1

Yup, that's RTM. You need to apply SP3 at least, preferably SP4 to this machine.

But SELECT @@VERSION, did u see the words (Build 2600: Service Pack 3) ? That means, i did upgraded it with SP3.

Read it again.

Windows NT 5.1 <X86> (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

Gail Shaw

• I try to install SP3, but it came with errors:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply