Error Using SQLHDTST.EXE utility

• Hi

Has anyone used the SQLHDTST.EXE utility before? if so, hae you come up with an error right in the beginning of the test?

Error Text:

App Screen Output:

====================================

The starting time is: 03/12/02 , 11:01:29

Process priority set to: NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS

Creating simulated SQL Server device...

Device "ftest.fil" created.

File size: 512000 2kb pages, 1000 MB

Initializing Device File

Initialized: 256 pages, 0 MB

ERROR:File initialization failed!

(See previous errors)

CREATESQFILE Failed

========================================================

Onscreen Error Message

error:initializefile(). Error on writefile! Error=6

Although this app is supposed to highlich or indicate a problem on the operating subsystem, in my case it does not even run the test. This si the case on various servers. (Same error) I downloaded the latest version of the app from Ms ftp site.

The technet site does nto seem to give me any conclusive info on this error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Tony

• Where did you get this utility, sorry I cannot find?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib .....

It is listed as the name i included in my original posting ....

• Got same error as you. If you are trying to stress test a system with SQL 7 or greater then you really need to use the SQL70IOStress.exe application, the one you listed is only for 6.x. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q231619 to obtain from Microsoft and check out http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/136/ITW2946/pfindex.html for a little bit about. This app is command line and you can use /? to et to the help screen or do /? > help.txt to post to a text file to read. If you are running a 6.x box let me know and I will see if I can find documentation on it somewhere.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hi

We are running Sql2000, on win2000 server. Compaq hardware & emc storage device. We had an odd thing happen early this week where some volumes mounted on the win2000 os suddenly became unavailable... these volumes contained the Sql db's, user & system. Sql recovered perfectly. But i was interested in stressing the hardware arrangement in order to see if we can recreate the problem. THe logs on the os simply show a failure, the emc shows none at all. This attempt of mine is simply intended to find an app that will produce high io requests in order to stress the disk subsystem... i looked for iometer... but there is a page with a note on the end on Intel's site that it has become opensource and moved to sourceforge.com... there i only found version pertaining to unix flavours...

Thanks

• The one I provided should stress it pretty good with read and writes. Set it for a dozen+ iterations and run several copies should slow your system down fairly good and work the drives hard.

• Have you contacted Compaq? Dell has some utilities for their servers, I'd be sure Compaq has something. Especially if the box is under warranty.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Hi Steve

We have scheduled a compaq technician to be onsite tomorrow. I'll ask about the utilities, but just so that i can be more specific, what utilities are you refering to, anything specific?

As an after thought, regarding the failure i mentioned earlier, none of the 3 components logged any failures ... the os, compaq insight manager or the multi million emc device ...

• My apologies, more specifically, teh hardware involved in the platform has not logged any failure, simply the os & sql logged a failure and responded accordingly ... (Compaq Insight Manager & EMC)

• There is a Dell diagnostics disk that came with the DELL servers that will run testing against the box. A colleague had to stress the I/O system because he suspected and issue and Dell provided him with a utility. Sorry don't have the name handy and he's out of town right now.

Be interested to gear what your tech says.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Dell pointed us to the IOmeter app I posted the link to earlier, not sure if there is a different one besides that.

Andy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply