Error: The multi-part identifier "dbo.Items.ItemNumber" could not be bound.

• This is the data source for an ASP.net dropdown list. I need to have a hyphen "-" in the first record of the dropdown list.

When I added this complex ORDER BY, I got the error "The multi-part identifier "dbo.Items.ItemNumber" could not be bound".

How can I keep the ORDER BY and still have the first record be a "-"

ALTER PROC [dbo].[procGetItemNumbersForProject]

@ProjectID int

AS

SELECT '-' AS [Value]

UNION

SELECT dbo.Items.ItemNumber

FROM dbo.Items INNER JOIN

dbo.Components ON dbo.Items.ItemID = dbo.Components.ItemID

WHERE (ProjectID = @ProjectID)

AND (ItemNumber IS NOT NULL) AND (RTRIM(ItemNumber) <> '')

ORDER BY --ItemNumber

Replace (dbo.Items.ItemNumber,

( SELECT (Left( SubString (dbo.Items.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , dbo.Items.[ItemNumber]), 10 ),

PatIndex( '%[^0-9]%' , SubString (dbo.Items.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , dbo.Items.[ItemNumber]), 10 ) + 'X' )- 1 ))), -- string to find

(SELECT Format( cast (Left(SubString ( dbo.Items.[ItemNumber] , PatIndex ('%[0-9]%' , dbo.Items.[ItemNumber]), 10 ),

PatIndex( '%[^0-9]%' , SubString (dbo.Items.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , dbo.Items.[ItemNumber]), 10 ) + 'X' )- 1 ) as int ), '00000' ))) -- replacement for found

• TBIG (4/8/2015)

This is the data source for an ASP.net dropdown list. I need to have a hyphen "-" in the first record of the dropdown list.

When I added this complex ORDER BY, I got the error "The multi-part identifier "dbo.Items.ItemNumber" could not be bound".

How can I keep the ORDER BY and still have the first record be a "-"

@ProjectID int

AS

SELECT '-' AS [Value]

UNION

AND (ItemNumber IS NOT NULL) AND (RTRIM(ItemNumber) <> '')

ORDER BY --ItemNumber

Replace (dbo.Items.ItemNumber,

( SELECT (Left( SubString (dbo.Items.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , dbo.Items.[ItemNumber]), 10 ),

PatIndex( '%[^0-9]%' , SubString (dbo.Items.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , dbo.Items.[ItemNumber]), 10 ) + 'X' )- 1 ))), -- string to find

(SELECT Format( cast (Left(SubString ( dbo.Items.[ItemNumber] , PatIndex ('%[0-9]%' , dbo.Items.[ItemNumber]), 10 ),

PatIndex( '%[^0-9]%' , SubString (dbo.Items.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , dbo.Items.[ItemNumber]), 10 ) + 'X' )- 1 ) as int ), '00000' ))) -- replacement for found

you could use a cte or derived table. you would need to ensure that '-' is always at the top of your order based on the types possible values returned by itemnumber by changing your order by clause accordingly.

@ProjectID int

AS

with cte as

(

SELECT '-' AS ItemNumber

UNION

AND (ItemNumber IS NOT NULL) AND (RTRIM(ItemNumber)<>'')

)

SELECT ItemNumber from cte a

ORDER BY --ItemNumber

Replace (a.ItemNumber,

( SELECT (Left( SubString (a.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , a.[ItemNumber]), 10 ),

PatIndex( '%[^0-9]%' , SubString (a.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , a.[ItemNumber]), 10 ) + 'X' )- 1 ))), -- string to find

(SELECT Format( cast (Left(SubString ( a.[ItemNumber] , PatIndex ('%[0-9]%' , a.[ItemNumber]), 10 ),

PatIndex( '%[^0-9]%' , SubString (a.[ItemNumber], PatIndex( '%[0-9]%' , a.[ItemNumber]), 10 ) + 'X' )- 1 ) as int ), '00000' ))) -- replacement for found

• Thank so much, peacesells

Wonderful solution 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply