Error scripting database objects (view/table) that have a trigger

• I'm getting an error using the script i've added a link to below as well, in case the forum doinks up some of the code.

this script, in a larger context, scripts all the objects out in a given database...it scripts each object out to a folder by object type and individual file per object.

i have an issue if the table or view has a trigger on it.

I thought that by making sure $ScriptOptions.Triggers = $true; was in my options, i'd be fine, but whether i toggle that to true or false, i cannot get tables or views, featuring a trigger, to script yet.

the error is on the line $scrp.Script($URNCollection), so it's probably an overlooked option that is incompatible with my "default" options, maybe? i'm kinda stuck and need a bit of peer review.

I KNOW it's triggers, because I've got a verbose statement that echos out exactly what object is being scripted at the moment.

the error specifically is

Exception calling "Script" with "1" argument(s): "Script failed for Server 'HOL-WKS-444'. "

At C:\Users\lizaguirre\Documents\ScriptOneDatabase.ps1:60 char:24

+ $scrp.Script <<<< ($URNCollection)

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

ScriptOneDatabase.ps1.txt

###################################################################################################

## Function Declarations

###################################################################################################

function get-databaseobjectscripts($db) {

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo") | Out-Null

#$srv = New-Object "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server" $sqlserver

$srv.Databases | Where-Object {$_.name -eq $db} | foreach-object{$_.name | Out-Null

$database = $_

$databaseName = $_.name

write-verbose -Message "scripting [$databasename] in [$sqlserver]" -verbose

$ScriptOptions = new-object ("Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptingOptions")

$ScriptOptions.ExtendedProperties = $true # yes, we want these

$ScriptOptions.DRIAll= $true # and all the constraints

$ScriptOptions.ClusteredIndexes = $true;

$ScriptOptions.NonClusteredIndexes = $true;

$ScriptOptions.Indexes= $true # Yup, these would be nice

$ScriptOptions.ScriptBatchTerminator = $true # this only goes to the file

$ScriptOptions.IncludeHeaders = $true; # of course

$ScriptOptions.ToFileOnly = $true # no need of string output as well

$ScriptOptions.IncludeIfNotExists = $true # not necessary but makes script more versatile

$ScriptOptions.Triggers = $true;

$scrp=new-object ("Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Scripter") ($Database.parent)

$scrp.options=$ScriptOptions

$database.EnumObjects([long]0x1FFFFFFF -band [Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.DatabaseObjectTypes]::all) | `

Where-Object {('sys','information_schema') -notcontains $_.Schema} | Foreach-Object {

$urn= [Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Urn] $_.URN

write-verbose -Message "scripting $urn.name $urn.type" -verbose

if(('StoredProcedure','View','UserDefinedFunction') -contains $urn.type -and $urn.IsEncrypted -eq $true){

$fullPath="$currentPath\$($urn.type)"

$fileName = "$fullPath\$($urn.GetAttribute('Schema')-replace '[\\\/\:\.]','-')-$($urn.GetAttribute('Name') -replace '[\\\/\:\.]','-')(encrypted).sql"

New-Item fileName -type file

#save a file

}

else {

if (('ExtendedStoredProcedure','ServiceBroker') -notcontains $urn.type)

{

$currentPath="$directoryname\$($ServerName -replace '[\\\/\:\.]','-' )\$($urn.GetAttribute('Name','Database') -replace '[\\\/\:\.]','-')"

if ( $ServiceBrokerTypes -contains $urn.type)

{$fullPath="$currentPath\ServiceBroker\$($urn.type)"}

else

{$fullPath="$currentPath\$($urn.type)"}

if (!(Test-Path -path $fullPath ))

{

Try { New-Item $fullPath -type directory | out-null }

Catch [system.exception]{

Write-Error "error while creating '$fullPath' "

return

}

}

$scrp.options.FileName = "$fullPath\$($urn.GetAttribute('Schema')-replace '[\\\/\:\.]','-')-$($urn.GetAttribute('Name') -replace '[\\\/\:\.]','-').sql"

$UrnCollection = new-object ('Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.urnCollection')

$URNCollection.add($urn)

write-verbose "writing script to $($scrp.options.FileName)"

[highlight="#ffff11"]$scrp.Script($URNCollection)[/highlight]

}

}

}

}

}

## Execution Space is Below

##$servers = get-content C:\Data\PowerShell\computers.txt

$servers = "HOL-WKS-444"

$databaseToScript = "DBA_Utilities"

$directoryname = "C:\Data\PowerShell\"

#make sure our prime directory exists

if (!(Test-Path -path $directoryname)) {

New-Item $directoryname -type directory

}

#make sure our sub directory exists

if ($sqlserver.Trim() -ne "") {

if($sqlserver.IndexOf("\") -gt 0) {

$directoryname = "C:\Data\PowerShell" + "\" + $sqlserver.Replace("\","(") + ")\"

$position =$sqlserver.IndexOf("\")

$server = $sqlserver.SubString(0,$position)

$serverfilename = $sqlserver.Replace("\","(") + ")"

}

else {

$directoryname = "C:\Data\PowerShell" + "\" + $sqlserver + "\"

$server = $sqlserver

$serverfilename = $server

}

if (!(Test-Path -path $directoryname)) {

New-Item $directoryname -type directory

}

}

get-databaseobjectscripts $databaseToScript

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Lowell, just tried your script on a 2014 instance with both $ScriptOptions.Triggers = $true & $ScriptOptions.Triggers = $false; both worked as expected.

The trigger scripts are included in the create table scripts & for some reason are strings passed to sp_executesql calls.

Had to make a couple of small changes for the script to run:

the line if $servers = "servername" to $sqlserver = "servername" in the execution space

and uncomment $srv = New-Object "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server" $sqlserver at the top of the function

• Worked with triggers $true on a 2008 & 2012 instance too.

Maybe check PS & SMO versions?

I don't have any triggers on views though, will give that a test. edit: yep, all good there too (2014).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply