error on creating backup device

• We have two networked servers, say A and B, both with SQL2000 server standard edition. We want to back up one db from serverA to a folder on serverB, then restore it on serverB.

On serverA, we created a map drive, say G: which points to a folder, say D: on serverB . Then, in EM on serverA (log on as Local Admin), creating new backup device which points to the physical location G:, but we got a pop up message saying "Unable to verrity the existence of the backup file location." If we proceeded, the device could be created, but when using the device to back up the db, we got "Can't create device..." error.

Can anyone advise?

• Hi Buddy,

It seems u don't have the proper rights to perform the operation. Start the SQL server Service (on server A)with an account which has the rights to access the remote machine(Server B in ur case). Then try to execute the backup command. U can even run the Backup command from Server B to take backup of server A on B.

Have fun

Charul

Regards,
    NEO

• SQL Server services use the default login of Local System. (Right click on the My Computer icon, select Manage, expand Services, find the SQL Server services and look at what is under 'Login AS').

You are trying to work across with another domain. Therefore the SQL Server services must have a domain account that has the proper permissions to create a file on the other domain.

-SQLBill

• To quickly check if you have rights, run xp_cmdshell 'dir \\remotesharedfolder'.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• Thanks all for your help. I have checked that on each box, the MSSQLServer services are running using a domain account, but different from the other. Both accounts have local admin rights on both machines.

I will change the start up account to a single one and post the outcomes.

thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply