Error: not a valid Microsoft Tape Format backup set

• hi everybody...

I have a strange trouble

When I do the next:

1. Backup database MXSMS on server1 (is a clustered server) with the next command:

BACKUP DATABASE MXSMS TO MXSMS_BAK WITH INIT

where MXSMS_BAK is a disk device:  (sp_helpdevice MXSMS_BAK)

MXSMS_BAK R:\BACKUPS_BCN\MXSMS\MXSMS.BAK disk, backup device 16 2 0

2. Copy de bak to another machine

3. Restore database in Server2 with the sintax:

RESTORE DATABASE MXSMS

FROM DISK = 'H:\MXSMS\mxsms2.bak'

WITH

REPLACE,

MOVE 'MQ_Data' TO 'F:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\MXSMS_Data.MDF',

MOVE 'MQ_Log'  TO  'R:\TLogs\MXSMS_Log.LDF',

STANDBY = 'R:\STANDBY_FILES\UNDO_MXSMS_Log.LDF' 

I do that, because my server2 is a warm standby server...

In this step the next error appears:

Executed as user: SMS2\Administrator. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013)  The file on device 'H:\MXSMS\MXSMS.BAK' is not a valid Microsoft Tape Format backup set. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3242).  The step failed.

I did the same use Enterprise Manager to make backup and Restore and have the same result.

If Ido in the source server

restore headeronly from R:\BACKUPS_BCN\MXSMS\MXSMS.BAK

I have good results, but if I do it in the target server, I haven't got results!!!!

Have sombody any idea about this???

thanks in advance!!!

• I recently had this issue. Not restoring it to a standby server though. A vendor of ours backed up a db, sent it to us and when I attempted to restore it into our SQL Server i got the same error.  I used the restore verifyonly and the file was corrupt. I cannot remember the exact message it said though.

Come to find out the process that copied it to the server where I restored it to corrupted the file somehow.

Try running the restore verifyonly on the server that you created the backup on. Also, run the integrity check on the live db to make sure it is not corrupt either.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply