Error Message

• I have a package that ultimately has to build a fact table that has RI back to the various dimension tables.  It was driving me crazy for about two hours trying to figure out what errorcode -1071607696 meant.  The package was showing 1864 errors in my flat file output (error file), and when I went to the database the first sequence number was 1865 - so it looked like they were inserted and rolled back.  There was nothing in the execution results that looked like an error - and any sort of related transaction; but that screen is hard to deal with - you can't search it, and you can't make it to copy the whole thing into an editor.  It appears to be made pretty much in reverse order and shows a lot of really useless stuff.  I tried to use logging and whatever came from there just disappeared into thin air.  I put a data viewer on the flow before the insert and captured the columns I needed (and THAT screen let me copy the data) and inserted the rows with an import.  Now, why that worked, I can't imagine - for I clearly did NOT have the required row in the time dimension table.  When I manually tried to insert the records through SSMS I got the error that the required time_dim record was missing.

This tool is PAINFUL!  But, hey!  I've only been in this business since 1968 and only been using this tool since July... so what do I know? <THAT was a rhetorical question, btw>

Cheers,

david russell

• Looking at the error messages in MSDN I found the following.

0xC0209070

DTS_E_COMMANDDESTINATIONADAPTERSTATIC_INTEGRITYVIOLATION

The data value violated the integrity constraints for the column.

You can find them all here. 

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345164.aspx

Being in the business as long as you have, you probably already know this, but -1071607696 is decimal for the hex error code shown above. I don't remember why we show the decimal representation instead of hex.

K

• Hi - this is very good finding.  Since I spend some much time to research this meaning but still not helpful. 

Error Code = -1071607696  also = OxC0209070

My question is how could we convert this error number '-1071607696' back to hex error code so that we could refer to the error message table list from MSDN.

Thank you so much,

Wendy

• download the MS "PowerToy" calculator and convert between the two.  It's nice to actually finally have a reference to the messages.  I just hope they are better than the ones built in the product.

Cheers,

david russell

• Or, you can just use the calc.exe program that ships with the OS. Make sure you select View | Scientific. It will do the conversions to binary, hex, decimal and octal.

K

• and this worked just fine for exactly one error message.  Now, with a dozen of these trapped in a flat file destination: 1071607778 (dec) 3FDF6FE2 (hex)... and a search on the page at the MSDN link yields no hits... as does a search on MSDN2.  I am back to saying that the errorCode and errorColumn values are virtually worthless.  and I had such hope.

Cheers,

david russell

• You've always been so optimistc though David. Why give up hope now?

Kidding aside, unfortunately, you haven't really posted enough information to diagnose the problem.

The errorCode and errorColumn values aren't worthless, but could be easier to use.

You might try the IS forum on MSDN. There are a lot more folks there that may be able to help you. Most of the time, it's just a matter of understanding the product better.

K

• Well, on this one it was operator error - I had stripped off the negative sign to search it on Google since a negative sign in the search window means exclude results with it... and when that did not work, I pasted it into the calculator and got the hex... only the hex for the positive value - which was not present on MSDN.  And today when I got more of the same messages I found the reference... so your errorCodes (only) are back to being less than worthless... now, for that errorColumn... yes, they need work

Cheers,

david russell

• "less than worthless"

Thanks for that resounding endorsement David!

K

• By the way, for those that are interested, there is a new topic on MSDN that documents the trick for how to get an error description out of an error code with a one line script component. You can find it here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345163.aspx

K

• Kirk,

Thanks for the info on getting an error description out of an error code.  I was just starting on trying to figure out how to accomplish this ina package i am currently developing.  Talk about good timing!

Thanks,

Lynn

• You are welcome.

• Hi All.

I've read your posts with interest.

Has anyone managed to find a way of getting a description for the ErrorColumn code, I can get the description but not the error code.

Thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply