Error installing sql 6.5 on Win 2k

• Greetings all.

Has anyone successfully installed SQL Server 6.5 on Win2k Advanced Server?

• I have installed on Windows 2000 Server recently. But not sure about Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

• What error are you getting?

• the actual installation was done by another party, apparently without issues. I needed to change the size of the master, so I ran SQL Setup. Which immediately informs me that it will not run correctly, but allows the option to proceed. Which I did, but it failed late in the process with a non-specific error. Then sql server won't start.

We're in the middle of trying it again.

• If you want to expand the file, you can expand the database device for master, then expand the master database by using this device file.

But if you want to decrease the size, you can use shirk the database alone. You cannot decrease the size of the database device.

May I know the reason why you are changing the size? Increasing or decreasin?

If you run setup again, it will rebuild the master database.

• I need to increase the master. We believe the problem to be the SQL Setup GUI code running under WIN2k. So we removed 6.5 and reinstalled with a properly sized master. If I have to change anything else, I will just use tsql and avoid the gui.

We hope to get approval to upgrade to SQL 2k soon. See another issue I'll post next.

Any other issues related to using 6.5 on Win2k?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply